lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default precedent wheel bearing spacer rubbing

The issue is that something sounds like it is rubbing when you turn the wheel. I pulled the wheel and the sound was coming from the hub assembly. I changed both bearings and when I turn you can still hear the rub from inside the hub. The space seems to be little to long b/c when I pressed the bearings in and seated they would not turn b/c of the spacer. I backed the bearings back a small bit so they would turn. But still have the rubbing sound from the spacer. Is that spacer needed? Can I shorten it? Or maybe pack with grease? Any help would be appreciated.
bphemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: precedent wheel bearing spacer rubbing

i,m not sure i completely follow but i would pack with grease........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i,m not sure i completely follow but i would pack with grease........................
There is a 1" 1/2 sleeve that goes between the inner and outer bearing of the hub. It seems to act as a spacer but not sure why cause the bearings can only go so far before they seat.
When I took it all apart there was no grease around this sleeve or even the presence of grease. Does this help any. I will try to take some pics of the sleeve and the hub to give you a better look.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i think grease will help.....was the bearing packed?.................
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

The original bearings looked to be ok but beat them up pretty bad getting out so I went ahead and changed them.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

did you pack new ones?...........................
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

They came packed. I tried to back the bearings out but had no luck getting them all the way out. I did want to mess them up and waste 30 bucks if I don't have to. I was able to get a little space between the bearings and the spacer and put some grease on it. I put the hub back on the spindle and it seems to be ok. Also spun real good with wheel back on and didn't hear the rubbing so maybe it is fixed. I will know tomorrow b/c it is storming here now so can't take it out. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

I just did mine also, inner bearings only both sides they were 3.70 each just go to auto parts store 3906 bearings.

spacer does not move nor should the shaft ( spindle ) part of the bearing that is all fixed to the spindle So if it was not turning then there is something else wrong.

maybe your spindle is bad maybe the hub is not tight enough or you could have of damaged the bearings installing them.

and yes these are sealed bearings no grease.

there is something else going on!!!
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

1994 to 2004 DS are not sealed bearings they are cone type and yes they do need packed with grease......newer than 2004 i don,t know ok i just re-read your heading...precedent so yes it might be sealed..........................
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
I just did mine also, inner bearings only both sides they were 3.70 each just go to auto parts store 3906 bearings.

spacer does not move nor should the shaft ( spindle ) part of the bearing that is all fixed to the spindle So if it was not turning then there is something else wrong.

maybe your spindle is bad maybe the hub is not tight enough or you could have of damaged the bearings installing them.

and yes these are sealed bearings no grease.

there is something else going on!!!
Wow! I think i got screwed. I paid about $15 a piece for the bearings.
So you are saying that the nut needs to be screwed tight to the bearing which presses against the spacer then against the inner bearing so none of them move? If so then I need to tighten up the nut. I tightened it till it just did touch the bearing as to not have any play in the hub.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car