lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
badbowtie
Getting Wild

Default wiring a led battery meter

1981 club car 36v I got a led battery meter that showed up today in the mail and I know were the positive and negative go on it back to the batteries but the last termrinal is supossed to hook to the positve of the key switch to turn it on when key is on. I don't have a positve on the key switch there is two wires and I am thinking they are both ground so not sure how to hook it up know. I have probed both wires neither one of them are hot unless I am missing something both wires are only like 20 ga and one is blue and one is black frorm the best I can remember.
badbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: wiring a led battery meter

there has to be a hot wire to send power to soleniod or F&R .....................dosn,t there? but they draw such a minute amount that it wouldn,t hurt if it were on all the time.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I believe early CC use negative power to the key switch. You could change that but it would take a pretty good GC tech.
Just run a jumper from your other positive and let it be on all the time, no worries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbowtie View Post
1981 club car 36v I got a led battery meter that showed up today in the mail and I know were the positive and negative go on it back to the batteries but the last termrinal is supossed to hook to the positve of the key switch to turn it on when key is on. I don't have a positve on the key switch there is two wires and I am thinking they are both ground so not sure how to hook it up know. I have probed both wires neither one of them are hot unless I am missing something both wires are only like 20 ga and one is blue and one is black frorm the best I can remember.
Some LED meters use 12-15 volts for powering the meter and 36 or 48 volts as its source to display. These can share a common ground if they have just 3 leads... so what did your meter say as to its Positive and Negative leads as far as voltage?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are probably right, it sounded to me like he was describing a Curtis bar meter?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hook to switched side of key switch will work fine
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
Hook to switched side of key switch will work fine
Dude there is the whole polarity issue thing here If he has negativity at the key switch he can run the positive from the pack and use the switched negative but we are left not knowing which meter we are talking about?
That makes a big diff.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Okay see it is an 81
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
badbowtie
Getting Wild

Yes my switch has to be negative the switch makes the ground complete when key on.

Here is what it says for the
Connections

The terminal marked "+" is for positive volts. The terminal marked "-" is for ground. These must be hooked up for the indicator to record battery usage. With only these two terminals hooked up, there will be no display showing. This is done to conserve battery power, but the meter is monitoring the batteries.

When you want to see the display, connect the terminal marked "C" to a positive volt source (+ and - terminals should still be connected).

"C" can be hard wired to have the display showing all of the time or can be used through a momentary contact switch to see the battery status by depressing the momentary contact switch. Another method for installation would be to connect "C" to a terminal coming from a switch key that goes hot when the key is turned on. Remember that + and - must always be connected.

NOTE: For the meter to be reset to full, it is necessary that the meter sees the charging voltage for as little as 1/2 second. If you have your meter hooked up only from a switched source for both the + and "C" terminal, you must switch this on during the recharge cycle for less than 1 second to reset the meter.

Here is the link of the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-36VOLT-E...item27bdaed30b
badbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

OK, your meter is just a full 36+ volt meter. Pretty self explanatory directions as well. Since your cart is negative at the switch you can't use it as suggested by the directions. Either leave your meter on all the time by connecting the "C" and + side of your meter to your pack 36+ connection or connect your own switch using an additional connection to your pack 36+ and the "C" of your meter. This way your meter will always be connected as per directions and still have an On/Off display switch as well.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car