lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
big_red_300
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 ez go 36v wont take a charge. Have new charger

I am working on a 1989 36v ez go that wont take a charge. Ive checked everything i know to check. It has a new charger and new batteries and a new solenoid. All connections seem good. Does anyone have any suggestions??
big_red_300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 ez go 36v wont take a charge. Have new charger

What is the pack voltage? To low and the charger may not kick on.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
big_red_300
Not Yet Wild

Peak voltage is around 34-35 volts i think (I ran the cart to where it would barely move hoping it would charge). but the charger kicks on when i plug it up but only stays on for about 15 minutes then shuts off. Like I said it has new batteries, charger, and solenoid. And when it runs it runs fine. It just wont take a charge. All the batteries are good and not defective. Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it. This thing has been kicking my but for almost a month now.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_red_300 View Post
1.Peak voltage is around 34-35 volts i think
2. (I ran the cart to where it would barely move hoping it would charge).
3. but the charger kicks on when i plug it up but only stays on for about 15 minutes then shuts off.
4. Like I said it has new batteries, charger, and solenoid. And when it runs it runs fine.
5. It just wont take a charge. All the batteries are good and not defective.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it. This thing has been kicking my but for almost a month now.
Hi Red - Welcome to BWG.

1. AzPete was asking for pack voltage rather than peak. What is the voltage between B+ and B- as it sits right now?

2. Good way to irreversibly damage batteries, old or new. Never discharge below 50%
New batteries should be fully charged prior to first use and then broken in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity.
Hopefully the new battery set is still salvageable.

3. What is the battery pack voltage when the charger shuts off? (Note: The shut off voltage for a 36V automatic charger is in the 44-46V range.)

4. The battery charging circuit consists of three parts, Battery, Charger and wiring. The solenoid is part of the drive circuit, which you say is working.

5. If the batteries are not taking a charge, one of the aforementioned three parts of the battery charging circuit is defective.
You mentioned both the charger and batteries are new, that leaves the wiring, but new parts have been defective on arrival and some fail quickly after installation.
Also, after new batteries have been subjected to abuse (IE: "I ran the cart to where it would barely move hoping it would charge"), their condition is suspect.

What is manufacturer and model of the Charger?
What is manufacturer and model of the Batteries?
What is the Battery Pack Voltage when the charger shuts off?
What are the individual battery voltages when the charger shuts off?
A top-view picture of the Battery Pack showing the wiring would also help.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
big_red_300
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I feel like an idiot now. I ordered a new 36v charger. Its on the invoice as a lester 36v charger. The company sent me a 48v charger. I should have checked the charger before i even plugged it up. Hopefully i havent messed anything up. Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate the help guys. Its funny how ive been messing with this thing for almost a month now and the day after i finally post something on here to get help i figure it out myself lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good reason to add batteries and go for more power.....
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
Good reason to add batteries and go for more power.....
Good answer.....good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you.....

gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO