lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Club Car Drum problem..UPDATE

Hello Steve, Thanks for replying.
I spoke with one of the guys at CPP and he also suggested grinding a little off the head or getting an Allen head (my memory is getting bad I don't remember exactly what he called it) but as long as it is a grade 8 and the same size otherwise that may work.
I believe that I'll try grindint it first, I'll just do it slowly so as not to change the integrity of the bolt.
I'll let you know how it works out. It will be a few days as I've got some other things to take care of.

Edward
Edwardlmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
greg-g
Gone Wild

I'm looking at installing brakes also what is ball park $ and now the big question what is with the matching floor jack and jack stands, I have never seen that before I'm impressed
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'm looking at installing brakes also what is ball park $ and now the big question what is with the matching floor jack and jack stands, I have never seen that before I'm impressed
Under $300.00 for parts, tax and shipping ($288 if I remember correctly), I purchased them from Cart Parts Plus.
I don't remember where I bought the Jack and stands as I've had them for some time, I wanted to be safe while under there and used all three to hold up the cart. At 68 I've never had a broken bone, considering I was a paratrooper when I was young and invincible, I didn't want to take any more unnessary chances under the Cart.
BTW I'm glad I opted for the disc brakes, they was really a snap to put in, even with all my aches and pains.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . by the patch, Screaming Eagles, 101st . . . my older brother (71 now), was in 82nd in the '50s . . . Gory Gory, What a Helluva Way to Die . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Airborne - All The Way - Above The Rest - 327th Airborne Battle Group - 101 Airborne Div. 1960 - 1962
1963 Electronic Instrument Repair School, 1965 Calibration Technician School, Okinawa, Tiawan, Hawaii, Viet Nam twice, to Calibrate Elec, mechical and Microwave measurement equip.
1966 taught Electronic Special Device Repair at Ft Belvior, VA
muchb more, .......little space, little time, not to mention very boring.
Now enjoying life especialy my GrandKids.

I did, as many others did also, enjoy jumping out of C130's into the prop blast. To much fun for a 17 yr old.

Steve I know I've said it already but thanks for your help, thats what made it easy otherwise I would still be fumbling with that locked on brake drum.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardlmcc View Post

Steve I know I've said it already but thanks for your help, thats what made it easy otherwise I would still be fumbling with that locked on brake drum.
. . . glad I was able to help out . . .
Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
If you read thru the brake section in that service manual I sent your way, it will show you where the snap ring is located that needs to be removed in order to pull the axles . . . you will need a good set of 90 degree snap ring pliers . .
Stevegrmich - any chance you might have a brake section service manual for a 2005 Precedent you wouldn't mind sharing?

I have worked through my battery, OBC and charger issues on my own - and when I put everything back together to take a celebratory spin with my daughter in my newly repaired cart - I was flabbergasted to discover I had no braking abilities - at all!

Here's what I have done so far in my attempts to fix the brakes:

1) Removed rear wheels and hubs, along with brake cable attachments on the inside of the rear hubs. I removed the rubber boot, and discovered the metal plate with the bolt and nut holding it in place. Like others, I have found that turning that nut either way seems to tighten the bolt and plate, but doesn't appear to have any effect on the brake liners meeting the inside of the drum.

2) Got a can of Brake Kleen, and have thoroughly cleaned the linkages and anything else I could get to on the inside of the drum.

3) After putting it all back together, I always find that the hubs are quite hard to fit over the brake shoes and it takes a few taps with a rubber mallet to get the shoes "inside" the hub diameter so the hub will go back on the drum.

4) I have tried pumping the brakes, as well as running it in reverse and mashing the brake pedal to "self-adjust" the brakes - no change noticed.

Nothing I have tried so far has made a noticeable difference in the braking ability of the golf cart. I'm scratching my head, looking for that magical adjuster that (in my mind) should adjust the brake pads outward and restore my braking ability. Is it behind that plate and nut on the inside of the drum? I'm hoping a brake manual or diagram will show me the light?

As always - thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
jrichv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Look over page 4-2 for exploded view of your brake assy . . page 4-6, detail (item 9) is adjustment for cables under vehicle . . dl a copy to your computer for future needs . . .

2005-2006 Precedent Parts List

Now dl this attachment and start reading on page 6-1 to get general info on the brake assy and how it works and how it adjusts . . . this is a 2007 Carryall Service Manual, but the brake section is rather generic . . main difference you will see is how to adjust cables as your is a little different . . .

Attachment 66429
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Look over page 4-2 for exploded view of your brake assy . . page 4-6, detail (item 9) is adjustment for cables under vehicle . . dl a copy to your computer for future needs . . .

2005-2006 Precedent Parts List

Now dl this attachment and start reading on page 6-1 to get general info on the brake assy and how it works and how it adjusts . . . this is a 2007 Carryall Service Manual, but the brake section is rather generic . . main difference you will see is how to adjust cables as your is a little different . . .

Attachment 66429
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

And once again, this forum comes through for me! Thanks to all, and especially to Stevegrmich - I can now stop on a dime... One brake cable adjustment later, and I am back to enjoying my golf cart.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car