lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default transform a 36v TXT to a hunting vehicle

Hello All!
I have many questions for the pros!

Here are the specs:
36V 2006 TXT Standard, series (F/R below seat no tow switch)

-Ordered a 6" lift and 22" wheels
-flip seat
-light kit

I live in hilly terrain and am worried about them (the hills). The cart already goes very slow up hills, I'm trying to figure this out now. Batteries 2010 but the person I purchased it from had it sitting for 1/2years without using and never really charged it. Cables get a little warm after use. It crawls up a gravel hill.

I'd like a little more speed (20-25mph) but lots of torque for hills.

1) Where should I start (cables, batteries, controller, motor...?)
2) What's the best place to purchase all this stuff from?
3) I only want to do this once, so I want to do right the first time, money isn't an issue (but I'm not looking for a hot rod) it will get beat up a little. I'm more concerned with the guts as opposed to accessories.

You guys have done this all before many times it sounds like, so what would you do if you were me?

Thanks for reading!
labatt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: transform a 36v TXT to a hunting vehicle

With a series motor, voltage controls the speed and current (amps) controls the torque.

You've experienced what we all do, with regards to hills. You probably made it worse with those big tires. You've traded top-end speed on flat and downhill, for torque.

I'll tell you what I did. After my batteries died, I bought eight T-105s, Alltrax 4855 controller, HD solenoid, HD FNR Cam, 2 AWG cables, and was happy. For a while. Then I bought a HS motor and was happy. For a while. Now I remember how fast my EZ-Go gasser went when I rebuilt it and disabled the governor.

You'll never be satisfied. Welcome to the money-pit.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't know your budget situation, or the condition of your batteries, but I did manage to kill two stock solenoids with nothing more than stock tires, a flip seat, and me going up steep hills over and over 'til the solenoid melted.

By adding larger tires, you may have made this more possible, as your motor will pull more amps, trying to climb those hills, with larger tires. Amps = heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
crash51730
Not Yet Wild

I am about to jump into the same boat with you. I just bought my first cart as well. 98 txt dcs. I also have hilly terrain to deal with. I think I am going 48 volts with a controller upgrade and all the goodies. I wondered about jumping past 500a and going to a 700a controller. I also want to do everything right the first time. Sooner or later Scottyb will chime in. I think he is the answer man for both of us.
crash51730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

lol, yes the money pit has started....i've got to find more odd jobs that pay cash to keep the parts rolling in!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Areed, I've read many posts on here as of late and a many of you have extensive first hand experience, we'll see what scotty says. I feel like I'm in the "Matrix", I keep reading and reading, taking it all in. But as usual, my history tells my nothing beats experience so I'll keep waiting for the parts list from the pro's.
I'm even wondering about 72V's? If I'm dishing out this much, what's a little more?

What do you all think about the steps? and Can anyone put price tags and locations on quality components?
1) 2 AWG cable set.
2) Controller (which one?)
3) HD Solenoid
4) Motor
5) Batteries
5) Charger

I got the cart for a decent price so I feel like I'm a little ahead at the moment. To purchase what I'm looking for off the shelf (bad boy, stealth, hunt ve) your looking at 8-13k and I've never been impressed with owners reviews of these vehicles.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Zach Jaynes
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm right there with you guys. I just started to work on my first lifted cart project (for hunting and farm work). I sent Scottyb an email with lots of questions and he was very helpful (and SUPER knowledgable). I will have my funds together by the first of next week and will be giving him a call to place an order for ALL the goodies:

500amp Alltrax controller
Upgraded motor
Upgraded F/R Switch
Upgraded Solenoid
2Ga. Cables
Voltage Reducer
And I will also have to buy two more batteries to go with my new US 2200xc's to get me up to 48V

Once I get all the performance stuff taken care of, I will be buying a 6" Jakes spindle lift, ITP SS212 Wheels (Black) and some 25" Tires (probably ITP Swamp Lites or Kenda Bear Claws), a flip flop seat, fender flares, and who knows what else. I just got my light kit in, stripped the cart down, cut the openings for the lights, scuffed the entire body, and I'm about to coat the entire body shell with flat black bed coating. I'm going for the "murdered out" theme. Camo is so overrated!!
Zach Jaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I don't know your budget situation, or the condition of your batteries, but I did manage to kill two stock solenoids with nothing more than stock tires, a flip seat, and me going up steep hills over and over 'til the solenoid melted.

By adding larger tires, you may have made this more possible, as your motor will pull more amps, trying to climb those hills, with larger tires. Amps = heat.
I do think I did. Did your buggy crawl up these hills? I can do about 25mph going down (it flies) then just crawls up the next hill?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

All I know, this boat we're all in is getting pretty crowded, from previous threads, i recall a post about upgrading to 48v, controller, and cables, a great starting point.. then to the high torque motor for hill climbing.. I too am in the process, pkg 909 from Scottyb this coming spring, doing the 48v this fall and winter....
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Holy smokes!
I'm on the road right now, but I'll be back at the computer in about an hour. I can't wait to dig into all these great questions then.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO