lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZ GO consumes batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmuldoon View Post
This is what I know so far:
The cart is PDS, stock as far as I know.
The tires are stock, and say 18X8.50
The charger is a power wise, stock as far as I know.
I charge the cart after every use.
The picture tells what Costco says about the batteries.
The voltage after a full charge is 39 for the full bank, 6.5-6.9 on each individual battery.
I will get the discharged voltage this afternoon.
I appreciate the help and the interest.
Standard grade 6V golf cart batteries are 225AH and the ones in the picture are 208AH, so they are economy grade and will have less range and a shorter lifespan than standard grade batteries. However, you still ought to be getting upwards of three years out of them playing 18 holes a day and recharging after each use. Maybe longer.

The 39V reading is high, so I suspect it was taken less than 12 hours after the charger turned off automatically.
The 0.4V difference between individual battery voltages is still troubling though. They should all read withing 0.1V of each other.

Try this: Drive the cart about a 100 yards, wait ten minutes and then measure the pack voltage and individual battery voltages.
Then measure the pack and individual battery voltages after 9 holes, or whenever the the cart starts struggling. (Again, let the batteries rest about ten minutes before measuring the voltages)

BTW: This is load testing the batteries in a real life situation.

-----------
This is conjecture, but I suspect you have some bad high current cables.
What kind of cable was used to replace the interconnecting cables in the battery pack?
If any are the least bit warm after the cart has traveled to the next hole, replace all ten of them with at least 4ga cables made of high strand count welding cable.

----------

Also, what PDS mode are you running in?

Last edited by JohnnieB; 03-07-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added comments about cables
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

As the batteries died on the second to last uphill I jumped out and took voltages. Total was 36.9, 6.2-6.6 on individual batteries.
seanmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get an in dash (on board) Digital voltmeter, THe critical reading is under load. Once you remove the load (stop) the batteries immediately begin to recover
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

The new interconnect cables are 4 gauge welding cable. I will try those tests tonight, as well as connecting my digital volt meter and watching bank voltage as I operate the cart.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The first reading I would like to have is the maximum pack voltage at charger cut off. The second reading I would like to see is the pack reading 12 hours after charger cut off.(undisturbed, not used for 12 hours) The third reading would be the pack voltage going up this hill ( not after nine holes but, as close to freshly charged as possible)
Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

"Try this: Drive the cart about a 100 yards, wait ten minutes and then measure the pack voltage and individual battery voltages."

Just did this on my lunch hour, and the individual batts were 6.4-6.8, and the band was 39.2
Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That pack voltage is still a bit high. (A fully charged, mature battery pack, should be about 38.2V)

Try what Scotty suggested in his post (#15)

BTW: Individual battery voltages should be listed separately and defined on 1/100V. IE: a fully charged 6V battery is 6.37V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

The pack voltage going up the steep long hill with pretty fresh batteries was 30 volts. The voltage with no load at that time was 38.5. The second time up the steep hill, (barely moving) was 28. As I crested the hill and began gaining speed the voltage dropped to 27.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have one or more 'bad' batteries

Repeat the test with the meter on each individual battery until you find the defective one(s)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

What voltage should it stay at under the heavy load of the hill?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO