lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
jra007
Not Yet Wild

Default In the market for Cart...

Hello all-
New to the forum here, but i subscrib to many forms for all my hobbies (guitars, boats, Home Audio) and now golf carts! Nothing like have a bunch of expensive hobbies... though im a research junkie and love knowledge. Anyway, i have always wanted a golf cart, i live in a lake community, so i use that for my excuse aside from the "cool factor".

Here is ultimately what i want: a 2009-2010 CC Precedent, (6x8v), 6" lift, rear seat, light kit, and some type of custom paint (prefer to do myself), wheels/tires, not sure about 14's vs 12's...thoughts on rim size?

There are some places local that i can find already mod-ed for $4700. But im not opposed to buying a stocker and doing the work myself. I have looked through CL and found a few for $2000-2500. Can i assume that is a reasonable price? I know that i could easily do the work myself and save probably $500-750 from the 4700 as i dont mind this type of project.

That in mind... if i went this route... What type of issues should i look for when buying a used stock CC Precedent. I dont want to just show up, kick the tires and hand someone money. Im looking for things that with your experience/trials/mistakes could help me identify what to avoid. Obviously everyone is going to have the cart their selling spotless. But clean dosnt hide worn out parts and motor/tranny issues. Thanks in advance...
jra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: In the market for Cart...

IMO the first thing like you already said 6-8 volt and stay away from 4-12's , 2nd would be the dates of the batteries , that gives you an idea how soon you spend 700.00 on a new set. not sure what CC offered for a higher hp motor for that year but worth finding out compared to what stock is, then you know what motor to look for . A quick look at the battery water level can be a good reference to how well they were taken care of .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Northcap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just went through this process while shopping for my second cart. I looked at Craigslist, then bought through a dealer. At least one of the site sponsors offers nice, used late model carts that have been "refurbished." Could you get the cart cheaper? Maybe. Would you be buying a cart off of a golf course lease program? Likely. I bought a 2012 demo and got a factory warranty. Battery maintenance seems to be the big issue. I was more worried about water damage to the electrical and possibly frame/suspension issues.

I am finishing up on the customization of the cart I bought. So far: folding rear seat; lights; 6 inch A arm lift, heavy duty rear suspension; 12 inch wheels, 22 inch tires, burl finish dash; stainless steering column, bumper and nerf bars; new steering wheel; IT innovations hinges; Sony marine receiver and Infinity speakers; 30 amp voltage reducer; customized the electrical off of the reducer; and ground effects LED lighting. I enjoy doing the work myself verses having a shop make the changes.

I did not paint the Cart. The painted carts I looked at all had chips in the finish. I use both of my carts in a pretty harsh environment so I stuck with a factory body color.

All that is left is enhancing the performance.

I've been through two carts, and just now would I feel comfortable buying from a private seller. Hope this helps.
Northcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
jlensi
Not Yet Wild

What would be the reason to go with 6x8v as opposed to 4x12v batteries?
jlensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
jra007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcap View Post
I just went through this process while shopping for my second cart. I looked at Craigslist, then bought through a dealer. At least one of the site sponsors offers nice, used late model carts that have been "refurbished." Could you get the cart cheaper? Maybe. Would you be buying a cart off of a golf course lease program? Likely. I bought a 2012 demo and got a factory warranty. Battery maintenance seems to be the big issue. I was more worried about water damage to the electrical and possibly frame/suspension issues.

I am finishing up on the customization of the cart I bought. So far: folding rear seat; lights; 6 inch A arm lift, heavy duty rear suspension; 12 inch wheels, 22 inch tires, burl finish dash; stainless steering column, bumper and nerf bars; new steering wheel; IT innovations hinges; Sony marine receiver and Infinity speakers; 30 amp voltage reducer; customized the electrical off of the reducer; and ground effects LED lighting. I enjoy doing the work myself verses having a shop make the changes.

I did not paint the Cart. The painted carts I looked at all had chips in the finish. I use both of my carts in a pretty harsh environment so I stuck with a factory body color.

All that is left is enhancing the performance.

I've been through two carts, and just now would I feel comfortable buying from a private seller. Hope this helps.
Great info, appreciate it.
jra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jlensi,
You will get longer run time on 6ea 8 volt, but there are some guys who are happy with the 4 12volt.

Something to look for even on a Precedent is the condition of the battery tray. IMO if the battery tray is in good condition not corroded up this would tell me the cart was taken care of!
Good luck and keep asking questions.
Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
jlensi
Not Yet Wild

How long do batteries typically last? I assume it would depend on the amount of time charged and discharged but what would a good baseline be?
jlensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

The last set I had were non Trojan and I got 5+ yrs out of them, but this was taking cae of them.
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've always heard 4-5 years on a 4-12v set up . 5-6 years usually on 6-8 volts - Mayor
Mayor of G Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

When going to see the cart for the first time, show up with a volt meter and a load tester. Check the entire pack and then ask that the cables be removed from the batteries. Then check each batt individually. The whole pack should measure around 51 volts if freshly charged. Each batt should measure an equal amount to each other, roughly 8 to 8.5 volts.
I would stay away from carts with multiple dates on the batteries or individual batteries that measure lower than the rest.
Lastly, any cart with multiple accesories, should have a reducer installed. if the prior owner has hooked up the lights, radio, etc to just 2 of the batteries, that's a red flad IMO.
Best wishes Sir!
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car