lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Installing g16 secondary clutch

I have 2 questions. The spring on my clutch is really heavy duty but it doesn't have the nipples on the end. The one I just purchased has the nipples but not nearly as stout. Do the heavy torque springshave the nipples on the end or is mine just bad?
The second question I have is which holes do the nipples go in and whats the easiest way compress and to reinstall the clutch?
Macdoctor56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Installing g16 secondary clutch

The torque springs w/o the nipples/tangs are very stiff, will probably rob you of top end, and have been known to cause clutch damage because of the stiffness.

Where did you get the other spring? B2 or B3 would be the normal setting for an OEM spring. A regular Yamaha spring is about 4" long. The Yamaha u-max spring for utility carts is about 6" long.

I use a ratchet strap to compress the spring.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought the new spring from my local Yamaha dealer.
The clutch was only opening about half way and it was vibrating like crazy. Would the sleeve on the inside pully cause it to not open all the way, thats all I could find wrong with it and the primary clutch is brand new.
The grease sleeve fell apart into pieces when I pulled the clutch off so I replaced that and 2 new seals and I went ahead and replaced the guides even though the old ones looked almost new.
Do I have to spin the clutch then depress it or just tighten the strap straight down?
Old 08-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Dave in VA

Yamaha

That heavy spring almost certainly caused the bushing damage. As you tighten the strap, get the ramps over the slides. Then tighten until you can get the sheave, half moon key and nut on the shaft.

Is the cart lifted with larger tires? If so, the Yamaha u-max spring would increase torque.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes its lifted with 22" tires and a back seat and I get a lot of peopleon my cart at one time. I can reuse the spring I've got then cant I, it looks just like all the other torque springs Ive looked at on line just not orange, yellow or red.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Check with the Yamaha dealer and see if he has the u-max utility cart spring, and what they think about using it in your cart. Being engineered by Yamaha, it would help, especially in a lifted cart with a rear seat.

I just don't like the stiff torque springs.

This is the u-max spring. 6" long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49810976306_b62b8d40c5_c.jpg (131.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Those white monster springs are not worth a darn. But, they are good at wearing out clutch parts. They went by "if some more is good, all the more that can fit must surely be better" theory, but it's not better.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #8
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got the 6" spring anyway plus easier to work with. I took wire ties and kept shrinking the spring until it was compacted down to where I could put it on then after i tightened down the nut I cut all the wire ties off. Works like a champ, thanks for the help.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Let us know how you like the Umax spring.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So far it fells like the old spring, my cart flies speed wise and theres really not and challenging hills around. It will be loaded up the weekend with people, well se how it goes then.
Thanks for the help, I'm so glad to have my cart back full strength.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha