lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Cre8tive_E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 64 volt, 72 volt conversion (anyone done it?)

I’m curious if anyone has done this? I have a 2013 precedent with 2017 complete upgrades from wire harness to motor. Just ordered an alltrax 400, and solenoid (thanks Dave from revolution-awesome guy to deal with) and have complete 2 guage wire setup.

Speed after install should yield me around 23/25mph I’m hoping. I’m looking for 35mph without trying to break the bank. I’m sticking with the stock tire diameter and not lifted, don’t really want to go that route. Thought about upgrading the motor, upgrading the gears or converting to higher voltage...

Any suggestions ??? Also, heard that there may be a company in which you send your stock motor and they will modify it for about $200 (saw this in an old forum, couldn’t recall which at the moment)

What’s all involve with adding two more 8 volt batt or changing them all for 12 volts-will my new alltrax and solenoid work or what will be needed besides the obvious on fitting 2 more batts if going with the 8 volts...

Thanks in advance!
Cre8tive_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
SCCLT
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 64 volt, 72 volt conversion (anyone done it?)

No expert here, but speaking from personal experience, 35 mph with stock tires and gearing will over speed a stock motor. I would think the same goes for most aftermarket motors as well. Speed is a factor of RPM, Gearing & Tire Dia. From personal experience, I can tell you that 27 mph, on stock everything w/speed magnate, blew up the armature in my stock motor. This resulted in a new controller, 500 amp Altrax and a new motor. Supposedly the Alltrax has some sort of protection if you short your motor out i.e. when. I'd prefer not to test that claim.
See: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-grenades.html
SCCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

at 35 mph don't forget about upgrading brakes!
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Cre8tive_E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info
Old 03-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

72v can be done. 64v is hard because a charger at that voltage is difficult if not impossible to find.
I think 35 mph is possible at 48v with the controller and equipment you just purchased. Now you will need a custom motor most likely. Plumquick, or EMP are good sources.
Since you have already been dealing with Dave at revolution, I suggest you talk to him about this. He knows his stuff and has built a cart capable of speeds well past 35mph.
The guys were serious about the brakes. Stock golf cart brakes are rear wheel only and barely adequate for a cart configured for golf traveling less than 20mph.
These are short wheelbase vehicles. Add the weight of a rear seat and humans back there and stability is a real issue even at 15-20mph. But again, David knows how to do this.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I did a 64 volt conversion. I used a modified charger from a GEM to charge it.
8800 RPM is usually where the motor will come apart.
Ive driven 96, 120, volt carts with stock motor and they didn't come apart. Have heard it takes 168 volts to make one explode. These were all series cars.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
Cre8tive_E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the responses.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car