lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Default Erratic Charging Behavior 99 Series Cart

I recently installed an upgrade kit from Scotty B (F&R switch, solenoid, Alltrax SR48500). I made my own 2GA wires to go with this.

The cart runs great, but the charging is erratic now. It charges for a minute, then the battery warning light turns on, it stops charging, and it repeats this cycle - so its not actually charging.

One thing I didn't do was install an OBC stud. I had assumed it was simply to allow people to keep the same cable routing, but it looks like it might actually be necessary (some posts imply the OBC has some sort of sensor that requires the current to be flowing through there.

Could this be causing my erratic charging behavior? If I install an OBC stud and reset the OBC by leaving the batteries disconnected for a while, would this potentially resolve my charging problems?
blounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Erratic Charging Behavior 99 Series Cart

Yes. It’s very necessary for the cable to go through the OBC hole. That’s how it measures charge and discharge current. Get a stud from ScottyB if you can’t get it through. I’ve gotten some 2G cables through before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Erratic Charging Behavior 99 Series Cart

Thanks! I kind of feel like a dumbass now :-(.

Out of curiousity, how does putting a 5/16 brass stud in the circuit effect it? I suppose its probably OK because the length of the brass is quite short, but brass is no where near as conductive as copper. Seems like you're undoing some of the benefit you have by going to 2GA copper wire.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I personally would try to get the 2AWG cable through there first. I’ve heard some members got them through. I have gotten 4 AWG cables through myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 5/16" stud has a bigger diameter than the 2ga copper cable and the short length does not introduce any measurable limitation.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
scrannel
Gone Wild

Don't drill out the OBC hole.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The 5/16" stud has a bigger diameter than the 2ga copper cable and the short length does not introduce any measurable limitation.
True, but brass is also only 28% as conductive as copper.

Ultimately it doesn't matter :-). I used some wire lube and was able to pull it through the OBC with wire lube. The cable fits, its just that the soft rubber jacket causes a lot of friction. A bit of lube and its through .

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car