lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
bpf34
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Charging Issue

Guys, I need a little guidance on my 96 Club Car 48 Volt cart.

I have 6-8 volt batteries. I replaced 2 of them because I tightened the nuts too tight and messed up the studs. I have had the powerdrive2 charger on now for over 16 hours and it's currently showing just under 5 amps.

Pack voltage is at 63
1. 10.94
2. 10.95
3. 9.72 new battery
4. 9.67 new battery
5. 10.95
6. 10.98

Should I just let it go till the charger cuts off? I've read some that the charger will turn off after 16 hours but it's still going. Are the new batteries keeping it from cutting off because they aren't fully charged? Any help would be appreciated
bpf34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Charging Issue

The charger will often go up to 65 volts before cutting off. Especially with new batteries. It can take 16 hours or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Are your new batteries exactly the same as your other ones? Given the differences in charge voltage, I suspect that they are either a different make or a different amp-hr rating ... another guess is that they might charge different because they are new (but I suspect not because of the substantially different charge voltage). I have seen similar voltage differences when charging my pack where I have two replacement batteries which are different than the others, but in my case the replacement batteries charge at 0.4 volts "higher" than my other batteries.

I suspect that if your charger does not shut off, it could be because you are "missing" 1.2 to 1.3 volts from each of your two replacement batteries ... and perhaps your charger will never shut off.

What is the make and model of your batteries? How old are they? Look them up and see if you can find specs on what voltage that they should charge to.

I would hate for you to overcharge your "old" batteries because your charger does not shut off.

As a comparison, I have observed my Lester Summit 48 volt charger shuts off at about 62.3 volts. My US Batteries recommend that the finish charge take the batteries up to 2.55 +/- 0.05 volts per cell ... for a 6 volt battery that is 7.65 volts +/- 0.15 volts and 61.2 volts +/- 1.2 volts for the 48 volt pack.

For an 8 volt US Battery it is 10.2 +/-0.2 volts or 61.2 volts +/- 1.2 volts for the 48 volt pack.

Your batteries may have similar (or perhaps somewhat different) charging requirements.

WARNING - At 10.95 volts, you "may" be subjecting your original batteries to an overcharge situation !!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I agree with 3CW on the old/new. After the charger times out at 16 hours (and if it doesn't there may be an OBC issue) then check all 6 batteries again after 12 hours and see if they are close in SOC. If so, take it for a long drive then do another charge that night.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
bpf34
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sorry for the late response. I appreciate your feedback. Currently the cart wont go so I have a different issue. Once I get that solved, I'll charge, retest, run it, then recharge like you said and see what I have.

thank you for your comments.
bpf34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Start a new thread if you can't get it and we will try to help. Good Luck!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car