lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
Redbeardcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Series, Sepex or AC Drive?

Which of these drive types would be best for mostly low speed cruising around 5 mph for extended periods of time? I’ve read a few posts indicating that sepex motors tend to overheat at constant low speeds. Is that true? Would AC drive be worth the extra cost over series for this type of application? And am I just dreaming to have a system that will work well slowly for extended periods and yet be capable of doing 30 mph when my foot gets heavier?

P.S. I’m driving mostly level paved roads with the occasional rump through pea gravel
Redbeardcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Series, Sepex or AC Drive?

I do not know about an AC drive, but if you have an Alltrax controller, you can have a FNKS 3-way switch and tune the controller to be optimized for 1-Normal, 2- Low Speed, and 4- High Speed.

The windings are different in a Series and Sepex motor, but I think the controller is more the prevailing factor when you are talking 5 mph scenarios.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Redbeardcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

From what I was reading it’s the sepex motor that tends to over heat at low speeds. I’m going to be building up my 2001 DS from scratch so I have the opportunity to go with what ever drive system would work the best for me. Driving around really slow on a sepex system in the 110 degrees Fahrenheit desert is what worries me. I’m thinking I’d be better off with either series or AC. I’m just trying to confirm that I’m correct in my concerns with sepex.
Redbeardcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes, and is why I was saying the controller could be the prevailing factor. I have ran my Sepex (IQ) cart for miles and miles at only 4-6 MPH when we are riding along the river.

Your controller handles the amperage being delivered to the motor and my point was with a FNKS switch, you could optimize the controller to efficiently run your motor at low RPMs or high RPMs. No matter what motor you buy, you want the controller to optimize its usage to get all the bang out of your buck.

Like I said, no idea on AC systems, my AC experience is on home and office...
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Yes, and is why I was saying the controller could be the prevailing factor. I have ran my Sepex (IQ) cart for miles and miles at only 4-6 MPH when we are riding along the river.

Your controller handles the amperage being delivered to the motor and my point was with a FNKS switch, you could optimize the controller to efficiently run your motor at low RPMs or high RPMs. No matter what motor you buy, you want the controller to optimize its usage to get all the bang out of your buck.

Like I said, no idea on AC systems, my AC experience is on home and office...
I wonder where someone would get on of these FNKS switches ?
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
I wonder where someone would get on of these FNKS switches ?
scottyb - Carts Unlimited and TahoeDawgZ71 - Revolution Golf Cars have them on their sites I believe.

FNKS and FNK2 is for XCT (Shunt) controllers
FNK1 is for SR (Series) controllers

See them here https://alltraxinc.com/fn-function-control-box/
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car