lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
jsjohnston
Not Yet Wild

Default Onward Stereo - Engine noise

I have an electric club car onward that I recently installed a stereo in. Setup is as follows:

JL MBT/CRX Bluetooth Controller
JL MX500/4 marine amp
JL MX650 6-1/2 speakers
Rockford P2D2 8" sub
Rhox 2001 Voltage Reducer

Here is the problem. I am getting an extreme amount of motor noise through the speakers, regardless if the Bluetooth is on or off. I've tried two different voltage reducers with no luck. I wired the amp through the 12v power in the rear pillar, however it draws too much power and cuts out at a medium volume. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, when I turn the key switch, there is a loud "pop" through the speakers.

Thanks for reading!
jsjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Onward Stereo Help - Engine noise

Is your amperage rating sufficient on your reducer? Also, you’re likely getting feedback through the system via the motor current/draw. I’d look into ways to ground the cart reducer via fuse buss versus directly into the negative on battery post or B- on controller. Car stereos often have same issue with amps.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
jsjohnston
Not Yet Wild

I am getting 12.4v through the reducer. So, on the reducer, I can wire the positive on the batteries and tie into a ground other that the negative terminal on the battery?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

To start make sure all of the commons are tied to the same common connection point. Get a common bus bar if you don't have one. You may be creating ground loops if they aren't.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Onward Stereo - Engine noise

Use a ground loop isolator or in-line noise suppressor. Make sure your ground from the reducer input is to the negative from the controller (though you could use negative terminal from pack). Then for the reducer output, make sure you are using a dual buss bar fuse block with positive and negative and make sure your accessories are grounded to this buss bar.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Get the blue sea 6 gang fuse block with ground bus bar. On the ground side, use the reducer ground and also the pack ground and you should be fine. Forget a noice reducer, that only masks the problem. Fix the “dirty” connection and the noise will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Get the blue sea 6 gang fuse block with ground bus bar. On the ground side, use the reducer ground and also the pack ground and you should be fine. Forget a noice reducer, that only masks the problem. Fix the “dirty” connection and the noise will go away.

His dirty connection is due to his amp draw which is harder to ground on a cart versus a car. He is likely to need a in line supressor for his amp rca lines if the amp draws 10-20 amps or more. That’s a lot of juice to ground via the pack without some feedback and help to reduce it. Just my two cents.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I first installed my lithium pack I half fast the 12v ground just to get it all running and had a stereo whine. As soon as I tied all my grounds together (charger, pack and reducer) to the fuse panel the noise went away. Stereo noise always comes from a bad connection somewhere.

E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
jsjohnston
Not Yet Wild

Thank you guys for all the input. I tried a ground loop isolater last night and the amp would not power on. I am going to order the blue sea per your suggestions and give it a whirl! Thanks for all the input.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car