lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Newgolfcarter
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 club car keep or not

I recently inherited a 1984 club car it runs but is in rough shape. I have the option to upgrade to a newer model but idk if I should just keep this one and just upgrade it a little bit at a time. Please give me some insight on the pros and cons of this model. The serial number starts with A8418
Newgolfcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 84 club car keep or not

WELL built, almost NO plastic, really good steering, and long lasting [greaseable] suspension, and it may have the Kawasaki differential. Cons include a "weenie roaster" controller but if you are upgrading to a solid state, this is not much of an issue since you will swap it out anyways. What do you want it to do? Oh yeah, WELCOME!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Keep it! There's no such thing as a free cart but this is a free cart!

I THOUGHT I inherited an 84 but I found out today it is an 86. I think they are basically the same. It is built like a tank. Mine is bone stock currently (as of this minute) and my plan is to fix things that break and add a few mods as time and spendoolies allow.

Batteries replacement was around $800 and I got a set of semi-new tires and wheels from someone who upgraded and lifted their cart. $150.

If you have headlights already, I found a much cheaper/better/less battery sucking LED alternative to the Halogen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a half moon shape beam flat on the top. Produce a LOT of light. Installing now. Will add pics when it gets dark.

So KEEP IT! ….but I'm a newbie, too so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Rob
outbackrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

All in what you want to do. I have seen some of those old DS's turned into real show pieces. As Dundee stated you have a great platform with a lot of options.

Welcome to BGW.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look like great lights. But don't worry too much about halogens sucking battery power. If you do the math, you would have to run the lights for DAYS to see much difference in cart range. Your cart uses 50 to 80+ amps on hills at 36 or 48v and the lights will draw under 2 amps.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
Newgolfcarter
Not Yet Wild

Outbackrob

How did you mount the lights? Did it come with a bracket. Also did you have to conver the voltage?

Thanks
Newgolfcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Roll with it....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgolfcarter View Post
Outbackrob

How did you mount the lights? Did it come with a bracket. Also did you have to conver the voltage?

Thanks
They are 12V motorcycle passing lights. They are 4.5" and fit almost perfectly into the stock light fixtures. Did not have to mod the stock fixtures at all. The lights themselves are about 1/4" thicker than the stock bulbs but the retaining spring dealies still works properly. It takes a little more effort to get the light in place and to get the retaining spring around the screw, but it works and the new lights are VERY secure.

VERY happy with them.

Rob
Old 06-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Look like great lights. But don't worry too much about halogens sucking battery power. If you do the math, you would have to run the lights for DAYS to see much difference in cart range. Your cart uses 50 to 80+ amps on hills at 36 or 48v and the lights will draw under 2 amps.
That's a good point. With all the heat the halogens put off, I guess I just figured they would draw a lot of power. The new ones run cooler, produce more usable light.....HAH(!) for just about the same battery draw.... Oh well. I think they look better and I LOVE the light pattern. :-s

Rob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car