lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
AirGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help 36V in a 48V cart not sure of my next move.

Got another cart today, so i go and check the cart 6 6v batteries, i am going to swap in my batteries from my old cart so it should all be good.

From what she told me it got low and died and then wouldn't charge, so i was figuring she just killed her batteries.

At home as i am pulling the batteries i notice the solenoid says 48V, look at the motor 48V. I check the charger and it gets even better AMP/MAX Model AM24V25A 11/99 (same age as the cart) but scratched in the voltage section on the tag is 36 and the relay inside is 36V.

So what the heck to do now? can't find any numbers on the controller and i haven't unbolted it yet. Are there different controllers for 36 and 48 volt carts? Could i just go and get a set of 4 cell batteries and take it up to 48V? is there some advantage to it being set up the way it is? I'm lost here....
AirGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help 36V in a 48V cart not sure of my next move.

Factory controllers are 36 OR 48 volt. Aftermarket controllers are 36 TO 48 volt.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
AirGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hmmmm so no idea then what it might be as there is NOTHING ON THE CONTROLLER. Looks like there was probably a sticker in the middle front of the controller that's missing. It also looks like it has been pulled before as someone has written the color of the wires at the terminals. I will try to get a picture.

My guess it your going to lose a bit of top end speed with the 36 vs 48?

Man my old school EZGO looks better all the time.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
AirGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

any ideas?
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller.jpg (58.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuy View Post
any ideas?
thanks
Without looking at the whole car, looks like you have a G19E (48 volt system) car. Will need 6-8 volt batteries and a 48 volt charger. Have seen people put 6-6 volt's in by mistake, but the charger confusses me, should be a 48 volt Mac or DPI with that car. Did you find the serial number on the car?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
AirGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry thought i posted that in the first thread YES a JR1 -3xxxxx so it's a G19ET which should make it a 48V cart, just don't know if someone converted it to 36 and changed the controller to 36.

Charger is a mystery, the relay in the charger says 36v but the model on the tag outside says AM24V25A has to stand for 24V 25A. The transformer has several taps an my guess is it could probably do several different voltages depending on which one you use. Also several places on the front of the charger have been scratched off.

I bought it from a little old lady so i doubt that she did anything to it, and as the charger (at least inside) matches the voltage of the batteries and is as old as the cart i wonder if it's always been used with 36v.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
AirGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK i just don't get it, went to Yamaha and the controller is defintly a 48 volt controller as they look nothing like the 36v unit.

The charger is 36v so for some reason someone set it up this way, i have done searches and can't find any advantage or any reason why you would want to.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No good reason to do this, cart would perform poorly if at all. There is just no explaining what some people do.... You need some 8v batteries and a 48v charger
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
AirGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i charged the batteries with a 12 v charger 2 at a time yesterday and drove it off the trailer last night at midnight, would not do more than that.

Put it on the charger last night drove it a bit this morning and put it back on the charger it jumped to 30 amps, checked it in about a half hour and it was at 20 about 15 min later it shut off. Pack is reading 36.4V, the 2 middle batteries read 5.9 the 2 outside sets read 6.2. Batteries were dead when they got here but they are 9/07 so it kills me not to try and see if i can get something out of them.

And yes i need to get a set of 8V batteries, i have another set of 36 in my broken cart i may try to switch out and see what it does. wish there was enough room to throw in two more 6V.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Add 2 6v batteries in the bagwell and go with it.... and a 48v charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha