lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Clone kill relay wiring diagram

Made a simple diagram for wiring kill relay to a clone in a cart when using stock starter/generator. This only works if you get 12v hot from the pedal when pedal down, and no power when pedal up. Yamaha are wired this way far as I know. G2/9 use a white/red wire to power ignition from the pedal to run. This setup will kill the engine all the time unless you press the pedal to power the relay. You must use the 5 pin relay, the 4 pin will not work. Most older GM cars have these relays under the hood if you happen to hit a junkyard.

If you also get the plug and harness you can pull the relay to make the engine run, such as for recoil starting. If you wire with connectors then pull the engine block ground wire #30 to make it run. Relay and harness are cheap online if you can't find local; mine were $3 each at amazon back when I wired mine.

You can turn the idle off to kill the clone but if your throttle linkage ever sticks or breaks you could have a problem, this relay kills the engine for much safer operation. Wired this way it uses no power at rest, it will run with the stock pedal start and generator just like stock.

People ask me about this so maybe it can be a sticky in clones. Please check my work and try to run your cart today

I should add one thing: never put power to the kill wire on a clone or any lawn engine with magneto ignition (coil on the flywheel magnet and needs no power to run). Most of the time it will waste the coil! Wired this way 30 and 87a are connected all the time unless the relay is energized, do not allow 12v to touch 30 or 87a (the kill wire). 12v power goes through 86 (switched power) to 85 (ground) to power the relay, and have nothing to do with 30 or 87/87a pins. If your clone has a charge system like most electric start, don't use that wire as the kill wire. The kill wire goes to the coil not under the flywheel where charge coils are (if equipped). Recoil clones usually don't have any charge coil. The kill wire may also be connected with the low oil shutoff switch in the side of the block. The oil switch grounds the kill wire when low oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay clone cart.jpg (65.2 KB, 0 views)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Clone kill relay wiring diagram

Bravo!!!
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Made a simple diagram for wiring kill relay to a clone in a cart when using stock starter/generator. This only works if you get 12v hot from the pedal when pedal down, and no power when pedal up. Yamaha are wired this way far as I know. G2/9 use a white/red wire to power ignition from the pedal to run. This setup will kill the engine all the time unless you press the pedal to power the relay. You must use the 5 pin relay, the 4 pin will not work. Most older GM cars have these relays under the hood if you happen to hit a junkyard.

If you also get the plug and harness you can pull the relay to make the engine run, such as for recoil starting. If you wire with connectors then pull the engine block ground wire #30 to make it run. Relay and harness are cheap online if you can't find local; mine were $3 each at amazon back when I wired mine.

You can turn the idle off to kill the clone but if your throttle linkage ever sticks or breaks you could have a problem, this relay kills the engine for much safer operation. Wired this way it uses no power at rest, it will run with the stock pedal start and generator just like stock.

People ask me about this so maybe it can be a sticky in clones. Please check my work and try to run your cart today

I should add one thing: never put power to the kill wire on a clone or any lawn engine with magneto ignition (coil on the flywheel magnet and needs no power to run). Most of the time it will waste the coil! Wired this way 30 and 87a are connected all the time unless the relay is energized, do not allow 12v to touch 30 or 87a (the kill wire). 12v power goes through 86 (switched power) to 85 (ground) to power the relay, and have nothing to do with 30 or 87/87a pins. If your clone has a charge system like most electric start, don't use that wire as the kill wire. The kill wire goes to the coil not under the flywheel where charge coils are (if equipped). Recoil clones usually don't have any charge coil. The kill wire may also be connected with the low oil shutoff switch in the side of the block. The oil switch grounds the kill wire when low oil.
Sho......you are the CLONE KING! Good info here as this question is constantly coming up.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
motojoe1988
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thank you
motojoe1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Glad to help let me know if I missed anything
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Field6565
Gone Wild

This definitely needs to be a sticky. This is one of the few engine swaps that allows you to still use your starer/generator set up just like factory. Very valuable information!
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

sticky!
didjidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sticky wicky
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Is it "sticky" or "stickie"?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clone, kill, relay, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps