lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #971
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Vc 460

Ike works as a mechanic for some unnamed shop and John is an Elon college grad. I seen John looking on line for a bigger gig. Stay tuned but I also see more ads breaking into the show. Never said exactly what happened to the 670 BUT when Ike rolled it they couldn't come up with a replacement head. Certainly not the parts availability of our 460's. The other youtube string I follow is Robert Petrincic and his brother with RC testing.They are a couple of crazy RCers.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #972
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I fully agree that putting a MC type carb on is a project; I had to make an intake to fit the head (which you can buy, but I wanted a super short one), then had to make an intake to the front of the cylinder because I wanted the carb up there, though the throttle cable clipped right on to the CV carb easier than the stock one. It starts and runs much better than the stock carb, it just seems to have issue with top end must be it does not want to open up all the way for this setup and had to mod the spring to get it to work better. That said driving it around it works significantly nicer than the stock carb that I had jetted more than a few times. If my new slider carb works I want to put this on the stock 420. Oh yes you also have to make up a new airbox/hose/etc. But now the carb is very easy to get at, I can take it out in about 60 seconds, it does not get covered in dirt all the time either.

So yes it was a bunch of screwing around and I fully understand some people can't do all that is required or may feel its not really worth it when the stock carb gets the job done. I put it off a long time, finally I dove in and changed it....and still not had time to put the slide carb on now that I made another adapter to fit that one to my intake. This one will require some rigging to fit the cable on it, that is why its not on yet. Likely will have to make a lever to couple cable to cable because it has its own dual cable.

Also the Kart guys usually run WOT or nothing, so they don't much care about part throttle response and jetting that I use 99% of the time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #973
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Sho There is a member looking for a plumber in another section here. Maybe you should SHO him your intake system
Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #974
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Sho There is a member looking for a plumber in another section here. Maybe you should SHO him your intake system
If you can come up with something prettier I'll do it!!! That is best I could fab up with reasonable budget and it works. Just admitting it was a big project to do all that stuff just to mount a different carb on there. Guess I could have tried to put it back there but still would have had same G9 issue of no room for the air box tube. Now I'm free to do whatever, work on it much easier don't have to pull the rear body off to find the carb, and it stays clean for once.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #975
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
If you can come up with something prettier I'll do it!!! That is best I could fab up with reasonable budget and it works. Just admitting it was a big project to do all that stuff just to mount a different carb on there. Guess I could have tried to put it back there but still would have had same G9 issue of no room for the air box tube. Now I'm free to do whatever, work on it much easier don't have to pull the rear body off to find the carb, and it stays clean for once.
I've been trying to get Aussie Speed to cast a back swept manifold for the 460 that mounts the standard clone carburetor. This will allow for larger air filters and bigger velocity stacks, just think of the mods you can do. I suggested one that's for the 460 and blank on the carb end - drill what you need. All 32mm bore. I like the clone carb best so far, with the adjustable main jet it saves so much time tuning the power circuit. I have a PZ 30mm pumper and 2 PZ 33mm pumper carbs in various stages of setup. I have a good manifold setup now to mount a 33mm -- but all the screwing around jetting it is such a PITA. Needle jets spoil me and makes me lazy.
Makes me want to sell the parts I bough and buy another 24mm 3circuit to real put the mods to.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #976
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Actually I seen more fuel pump issues than carb issues. Note 1) No matter which pump I used if there was no return line the carb would over flow at the idle. Note 2) When running the early VC 460 with the stock clone cam the stock fuel pump worked fine. NOW on to the story. After installing the VC torque cam along with the NR rockers and the adjustable main jet the engine would some times shut down with the glass fuel filter being empty. I then switched to the mikuni from the 440 snowmobile engine same result. Next I added a low pressure electric fuel pump and had no issues UNTIL a 90 degree + day with high rpms running for a long distance. AGAIN the engine shut down and the fuel filter was empty. Finally switched to the mikuni B&S vanguard pump and BINGO no issues no matter how hot it was nor how far I ran at high rpms. In retrospect I wonder if the head gasket problems I encountered weren't due to lean conditions caused by low fuel delivery.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #977
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I've had fuel issues with both electric and vacuum operated fuel pumps. I've never had any problems with gravity.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #978
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Yeah Even very powerful cycles use gravity BUT in a golf cart not so easy to place the tank where this will work. Thank goodness the vanguard pumps have been flawless all season. Both of my carts have one now, plus my builders cart that I service. One thing we both can attest to, is when you get your clone making tons of power and lots of rpms you need a fuel system that keeps it fed however you do it.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #979
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Yeah Even very powerful cycles use gravity BUT in a golf cart not so easy to place the tank where this will work. Thank goodness the vanguard pumps have been flawless all season. Both of my carts have one now, plus my builders cart that I service. One thing we both can attest to, is when you get your clone making tons of power and lots of rpms you need a fuel system that keeps it fed however you do it.
Amen to that.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #980
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

No problems with fuel in my cart with stock G9 pump pulse off the rocker cover, other than a little oil in there after runs over 5K rpm. I have come up with a different pulse system I think will work more like the stock G9 and clean the line, have all the hose and fittings, but need to finish other larger projects before I can get the cart inside to play with it and swap to the new carb also. All this holiday stuff has kept me busy maybe it will calm down here soon.

Before the 460 cam I didn't get much over 5K so it was rare to get oil in the pulse, now it does it easier. Maybe the hone job and making more power cause more blowby as well. My clutch shifts at 4K about so until I get over 30mph roughly it does not get any oil, and its just a few drops collect in there cause it to cut out at wot when it does happen.

Pulse pumps have run sleds and mowers for over half a century, I think if it does not work you just have a setup issue or wrong pump, etc., though the clone carb is made for gravity feed. It worked fine on my G9 pump and rocker pulse, it would overflow on an intake pulse so that cart we had to use a return line. Hope I can change that stock cart to the CV carb at some point, or get a smaller (less than 32mm lol) scooter carb. I like the accelerator pump though it makes cold starting a breeze but those carbs are more cash.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps