lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
joewchampion
Not Yet Wild

Default '86 Club Car First cart questions

hey guys, this is my first golf cart, and i had a few questions. I bought it second hand at a very good price. I have done a lot of research on this website and have answered a few of my own questions. #1, the cart doesnt move untill around the third click. then it jerks abruptley forward. From what ive read, this is most likely a sielnoid? How do you test a sielnoid? A volt meter? #2, is it healthy to install a cd player directly to my batteys? I know to only use 2 of them to make it 12v, and i would install an inline switch. #3, as far as batterys, i read to charge them fully after every use, and add distilled water when needed, but i cant find where the water goes.. I have ? Excel? batterys? Just cant find where the water goes and how to measure. Im assuming theres a kit at an auto store? Any help would be great, and if there is a wiring diagram i would like to rewire mine with better gauge and newer connections. What would be a proper gauge wire.. Thanks
joewchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
retacon
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '86 Club Car First cart questions

Your batteries should have caps on top where you add water...should just twist off counter clockwise. If you dont have visible caps then there may be a sort of trim piece that fits into a groove on the top and hides the caps. You should be able to pop that off with a flat head screwdriver. Either of the two should be in the center of the top of the batteries. I've always just filled mine to the top with distilled water.
retacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewchampion View Post
hey guys, this is my first golf cart, and i had a few questions. I bought it second hand at a very good price. I have done a lot of research on this website and have answered a few of my own questions. #1, the cart doesnt move untill around the third click. then it jerks abruptley forward. From what ive read, this is most likely a sielnoid? How do you test a sielnoid? A volt meter? #2, is it healthy to install a cd player directly to my batteys? I know to only use 2 of them to make it 12v, and i would install an inline switch. #3, as far as batterys, i read to charge them fully after every use, and add distilled water when needed, but i cant find where the water goes.. I have ? Excel? batterys? Just cant find where the water goes and how to measure. Im assuming theres a kit at an auto store? Any help would be great, and if there is a wiring diagram i would like to rewire mine with better gauge and newer connections. What would be a proper gauge wire.. Thanks
How about I post a picture of what the batteries might look like with caps on top that can be removed to add water. These are not 6 volt batteries but should give you an idea of the caps, you're might have three smaller ones on each, one for every cell of the battery. Do yours look anything like these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0912.jpg (101.4 KB, 8 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

first things,Welcome to BGWAnd second you have solenoids that are bad,the first one is the master and then it goes 1,2,3,4 for the speeds.If you have the wheels off the ground you should be able to see how they work as you press the pedal down.1st main and then the rest in sequence like a 4 speed shifter in a car.Each click after the first is a new speed.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
first things,Welcome to BGWAnd second you have solenoids that are bad,the first one is the master and then it goes 1,2,3,4 for the speeds.If you have the wheels off the ground you should be able to see how they work as you press the pedal down.1st main and then the rest in sequence like a 4 speed shifter in a car.Each click after the first is a new speed.
Fixer>.....you are assuming all of the micros are working in the throttle position indicator box ??? This system starts with individual speed solenoid activation What a PIA

IMHO this system is IMPOSSIBLE to teach somebody to fix if they can not even fill a battery ...... really this one needs to go to a qualified tech ..... again IMHO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well the micros dont go bad that often and I am just assuming thats what wwrong with it,its usually the problem.I guess the battery water might be low too.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Well the micros dont go bad that often and I am just assuming thats what wwrong with it,its usually the problem.I guess the battery water might be low too.
problem is that when one does go bad or worse, gets intermittent.... it throws a wrench into the diagnostics
You guys do what you think is best
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
problem is that when one does go bad or worse, gets intermittent.... it throws a wrench into the diagnostics
You guys do what you think is best
I will drink to that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car