lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Battery meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredglass View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLF-...item2a02afca13

How hard would this be to install? i would like to have it come on when the key is on? anyone ever installed one like this?
Cut hold, install 2 wires, (one to ground and one to OFF side of ignition switch,) and you're done! Same principal as my LED gauge.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #22
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Cut hold, install 2 wires, (one to ground and one to OFF side of ignition switch,) and you're done! Same principal as my LED gauge.
ok just making sure before i install how do i know which wire is the off side on switch ? just slice into it? and where is best place for ground they said number 4 battery or can i ground somewhere else? just making sure so i dont do like i did on light kit blow lights lol
shatteredglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
ok just making sure before i install how do i know which wire is the off side on switch ? just slice into it? and where is best place for ground they said number 4 battery or can i ground somewhere else? just making sure so i dont do like i did on light kit blow lights lol
First and very important... you must own a quality voltmeter so you can test your sparky! Harbor Freight has them as low as $3 so money shouldn't be an issue. If you have one then test BOTH leads off the switch with the key on and off. Key OFF and power means the HOT side. Key OFF and no power means the OFF side of the key switch unless key is turned ON. Use a plastic wire crimp to attach to current wire without cutting if possible. To make sure you have a quality ground go ahead and use the 4 battery if you want or find one inside the dash if available.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
First and very important... you must own a quality voltmeter so you can test your sparky! Harbor Freight has them as low as $3 so money shouldn't be an issue. If you have one then test BOTH leads off the switch with the key on and off. Key OFF and power means the HOT side. Key OFF and no power means the OFF side of the key switch unless key is turned ON. Use a plastic wire crimp to attach to current wire without cutting if possible. To make sure you have a quality ground go ahead and use the 4 battery if you want or find one inside the dash if available.
what would be best gauge wire to use when doing this?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
what would be best gauge wire to use when doing this?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

so i dont have to use ground on battery 4 just find a good spot under dash would work? What gauge wire should i use to do this?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #27
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
so i dont have to use ground on battery 4 just find a good spot under dash would work? What gauge wire should i use to do this?
You'll be using the existing attached/coming with your new gauge most likely... if it doesn't have wiring then 16 should be fine since you're only using it for the gauge itself. May I ask how comfortable you are with wiring and the basics involved? The reason I say this is that it may be better for you to just do the #4 battery as ground instead of trying to follow what wire is for what.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You'll be using the existing attached/coming with your new gauge most likely... if it doesn't have wiring then 16 should be fine since you're only using it for the gauge itself. May I ask how comfortable you are with wiring and the basics involved? The reason I say this is that it may be better for you to just do the #4 battery as ground instead of trying to follow what wire is for what.
Well i not real comfortable when it comes to that i was just not sure what the best or easest way is i think it does not have wires so i will get some 16 gauge and run it to the off swich on the key. Then run a new wire to the negitve on the number 4 battery. That sounds the best was not sure if i found a good ground under dash if that work to save wire. I might just goto number 4 battery. What is best way to hook to to battery ? Thanks for your help

Last edited by shatteredglass; 04-16-2010 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #29
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Well i not real comfortable when it comes to that i was just not sure what the best or easest way is i think it does not have wires so i will get some 16 gauge and run it to the off swich on the key. Then run a new wire to the negitve on the number 4 battery. That sounds the best was not sure if i found a good ground under dash if that work to save wire. I might just goto number 4 battery. What is best way to hook to to battery ? Thanks for your help
If you can find inside your dash, the #4 battery lead used for your headlight assembly that's located in the headlight harness itself... that would be just find to clip into for the negative. But you know what happens when you don't test for polarity first don't you...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If you can find inside your dash, the #4 battery lead used for your headlight assembly that's located in the headlight harness itself... that would be just find to clip into for the negative. But you know what happens when you don't test for polarity first don't you...
so how would one go about doing this?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car