lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
hawgs
Getting Wild

Default 12V converter versus extra 12v battery

I am debating between buying a 12V converter that will hook up to all the batteries and convert the 48V down to 12V to run various small accesories on my cart (headlights, underbody lights, radio w/ 2 speakers, etc.). I suppose another option is to get a 12V battery and mount it under the rear seat in the golf club bag well. I could charge it when needed with a regular car charger... not sure how long a battery would last with these accessories though.

Anyone offer any pros and cons either way?
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
ubear7
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 12V converter versus extra 12v battery

I went with the 7th battery on my cart. I have not used it much to determine how long it will last but it makes it so much easier to install any 12v acces you would want. I especially wanted to install my winch and no converter would be able to handle the amperage involved. Well here are the pics.

This is what it looks like under the rear seat.

ubear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ubear, nice job! I hear a converter would be needed for each significant draw. So it makes the 7th batt a no brainer for the gadget guy. I would look into a 5w solar charger...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
ubear7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb. It just made it so much easier. The only difference than installing in a normal car is you always have to run a ground wire. Thats the reason for the two fuse blocks in the pic. Also let me install this....

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
ubear7
Not Yet Wild

The battery is a maintenance free sealed deep cycle. So I don't have to lift the rear seat to check or add water.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
hawgs
Getting Wild

Very convincing points ubear7. What kind of battery did you go with? I was looking at Optima batteries (thats what I run in my cars and boats and have had great luck with them) here: www.1st-optima-batteries.com

Is that charging wire just coming off the positive terminal on the battery and you just connect a car charger to that and a ground?
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
daddyscooltv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I was thinking about going with 2 trojan T105 6V batteries in series in the bag well for extra long capabilities for the 12 volt goodies. At christmas time we use a dc to ac converter to run christmas lights on the cart and the extra power would be a plus. Right now I have 1 small 12 battery
(group 27 I think) and it did not do very well last christmas only lasted about 30min. I think if I measured right the 2 6 Volt batteries will fit. :)
daddyscooltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The carts get pretty heavy with eight 6v in em....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
ubear7
Not Yet Wild

Hawgs I went with a batt from Walmart. We'll see how it goes. The charger is a Battery Minder. The pigtail is connected to the + and -.
http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm
Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
tiggntaz
Gone Wild

I was thinking about putting a yellow top in my 03 CC but there was no room under the seat. I ended up getting a heavy duty motorcycle battery and that works great for my head lights and tail lights.The 7th batter fits right under the Tow/Run switch.
tiggntaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car