lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
foxdelke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87 - 2 stroke Loss of power when hot

I have an 87 Ezgo with 244 cc, 2 stroke. Initially the cart would get warm and stall. It was also hard starting even when cold. I replaced the fuel pump as there was air and little appearance of fuel from gas tank in the fuel lines. I eventually found a weak or no or intermitant spark at the plug (new NGK). I replaced the coil with an automotive coil. This smartened everything up. If I don't push it hard, everything runs fine. If I get the engine heated up, it bogs down with low to no power. Doesn't help if I pull on the choke which indicates I may still be having electrical problems. Two questions. 1. Is a coil a coil, or should I replace with factory coil if I can find one? 2. Could the igniter be faulty?

Could it be something else. I have taken the muffler off, cut the end off, plus made a window to inspect and clean carbon out and welded all back together. It was clean.

Any help welcome.
foxdelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 87 - 2 stroke Loss of power when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdelke View Post
Two questions. 1. Is a coil a coil, or should I replace with factory coil if I can find one? 2. Could the igniter be faulty?
There are many different types of coils, they are not all the same. however I know many people have used auto coils on the older carts, it doesn't seem to be an issue until 91.
The best I can tell you about igniters is normaly when they don't work, they don't work at all, not work sometime and sometimes not.
Are you running premix gas (if so what ratio) or are you depending on the oil pump?
Have you done a compression test? Do you hear and hissing noise from the engine?
make sure the nuts/bolts holding the cylinder on the case are tight and carb is tight. look for any signs of a blown gasket or leaks around those areas.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
foxdelke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Jon. I'm relying on oil pump as opposed to premix. Using amsoil. Do you suggest disconnecting pump works and going to 1:128 or 1 oz/gal premix. I'm sure oil injection system is operating as I watch oil tank where I have placed a dot. Compression is 135 psi cold. Faint sign of gasketed areas moisture on block, nothing wet though. No hissing noises. I'll check and tighten block bolts, carb/fuel pump nuts. Once original gasket areas are broken, do you recomend silicone gasket maker? I know 2 strokes need to be tight in crank area..
Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdelke View Post
Thanks Jon. I'm relying on oil pump as opposed to premix. Using amsoil. Do you suggest disconnecting pump works and going to 1:128 or 1 oz/gal premix. I'm sure oil injection system is operating as I watch oil tank where I have placed a dot. Compression is 135 psi cold. Faint sign of gasketed areas moisture on block, nothing wet though. No hissing noises. I'll check and tighten block bolts, carb/fuel pump nuts. Once original gasket areas are broken, do you recomend silicone gasket maker? I know 2 strokes need to be tight in crank area..
I would be inclined to run premix over the oil pump, that way you know for sure it's getting the oil it needs, but thats up to you. I thought 1:128 is 1 oz/gal, this is recomended for light use such as playing golf I believe for heavy use it's 1.5oz to 1 gal.
I never use use silicone gasket maker so I can't say if it would work or not.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
foxdelke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello Jon. Thanks for your advice. It's obvious you know these machines. I have picked up on one interesting aspect from reading other 'threads'. It appears if you run the 1:128 mix, that's for golfing only which I'm doing. I went out and did some touring up steep hills and did continuous running for a half hour. This is when I noticed the bogging and fairly hot engine on hills. I'm going to disconnect the injection system and go premix. Maybe I should do the premix at 1 to 1.5 oz. per gal?? What do you think?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I would be inclined to premix and use a little heavy mix, I think it's easier to clean a fouled plug than rebuild an engine. Have you checked to see if your exhaust is clogged? I thought I read you had but sometimes I get mixed up.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We mix fuel for 2 cycles (motorcycles, chainsaws, blowers) at 50:1 ratio. That would be 2.2 oz. one gallon gas. Auto-oilers on old motorcycle oiled even more 35:1. These run at very high rpms so this doesnt foul out the plug very often. we raced motorcycles and mixed 1qt 2 cycle oil to 5 gals of fuel and went to the track.

Hope this helps. Too little oil is a bad thing
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello foxdelke and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello tonyton and Wlcome to the forum.

Sorry, I almost overlooked you.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a suggestion. Have you tried a compression test when it's hot after it bogged out on you ?? Sounds like you know the 2 stroke part of it. Just not the golf cart part. My 1/2 ct.
And Welcome to the forum
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO