lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
ahmjam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Bad Boy (not sure of Model)

Have a golf cart repair shop here in ohio and a customer brought in this 2006 unit . It does nothing i checked dash switches and voltage at battery and all connections.with no luck. any one have wiring diagrams or trouble shooting info please and thank you. you can call me also 419 340 4088
ahmjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 2006 Bad Boy (not sure of Model)

You sure it is a Bad Boy Buggy and not a Ruff n Tuff (the predecessor?) I wasn't aware of Bad Boy existing until like 2008 at the least.

We got a Ruff n Tuff from 2006 at our shop, made to run like an old resistor Harley (the original controller was shot and non-obtainable) and the really noticeable difference is a Delta-Q QUiQ charger in between the batteries, and one large motor with a drive-shaft to the front. A Bad Boy often has two separate axles with a motor on each and a separate charger, often a Bad Boy branded DPI variant.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
ahmjam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

found a tag on unit says bad boy type BB-AMS4 with # B2887 on tag cant find a d ate. was told by customer it was 2006. It has a separate drive motor on each axle and a green Navitas controller. i also noticed that the frame has negative power to it like a car 12 volt system, if my jumper touches frame it sparks like you touched neg post of battery. never saw that on a electric powered cart
Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I thought Navitas came much later down the line. The early BBBs had Sevcon Millipak controllers IIRC. They were known as 'Classics' and were made back in 2008-2009. I had the misfortune of having to replace a controller after some person had loaded theirs with three dead deer they killed and overloaded it uphill. I've had a disdain over them for that, as well as always changing them every other year. That and being overly hostile to anyone who isn't in their dealer network. Hunting forums hate them. Around here they're won in contests and people think they got a sweet treat only to find out later how expensive owning one is.

All the BBBs we've seen though have a year/VIN tag like a Star does.

Grounding to frame is a NO-NO in ANY car, electric or gas, hunting-lifted or not. I was never able to figure out how they do 12V with 8V batteries without a reducer. Once, we replaced a set of batteries in one that just needed batteries. It had little to no runtime, but lights/signals etc worked fine. Soon as we replaced them and All we did was simply replace them (the cables were idiot proof too, you couldn't use a negative end on a positive post) the car ran fine, but the lights blew out like they had straight 48V going to them. Never did figure that one out.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
ahmjam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

any troubleshooting tips you can help me with to test this cart or even someone i can pay to get advise? this is a boat anchor right now
Old 10-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

We also have a small shop and will see at least 1 per month of these wonderful machines. (Ha-Ha)
Someone else may know but was not these the recall years for the accelerator pedal. If its the old ezgo looking pedal assembly it needs the recall pedal.
We will spend hours getting these things back on the road. Mapping out a crude wiring diagram, checking the input devices, verifying the Health of the Battery Pack, Repairing these cart require a tremendous amount of PMA (positive metal attitude)
Several of the guys here have some Bad Boy info that may help out.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
Jputtputt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have one of the original BBB's. The EZGO Tag says 2006 but I think that BBB used older framed chassis to build their units. I have the same controller and EZGO pedal assembly. Probably really a 2008 model. When I bought it used about 3 years ago I had to rebuild the solenoids to get it to work.

It has worked great except the occasional will take off on you without pressing the pedal which is a danger. A couple days ago I bought new 6 volt x 8 batts for it. I completely scrubbed the corrosion off the frame and washed thoroughly with baking soda and rewired the batts. I turned the key on (switch was in forward) and it immediately took off at full speed and almost went through the back wall of my garage except a lawn mower and bbq grill worked like a crash barrier and slowed it enough for me to chase it and turn the ignition off. It could have hurt someone and glad it wasn't in reverse.

So would this have anything to do with the recall mentioned above thread or did I get something wet? My pedal was not depressed and I checked the micro switch in the pedal box and it was in the closed position. Shouldn't that keep this from happening?.. Thanks for any help!
Jputtputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Jputtputt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

link to BBB classic wiring diagram

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...hoot-photo.jpg
Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Jputtputt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

see link to wire diagram below
Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Jputtputt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jputtputt View Post
I have one of the original BBB's. The EZGO Tag says 2006 but I think that BBB used older framed chassis to build their units. I have the same controller and EZGO pedal assembly. Probably really a 2008 model. When I bought it used about 3 years ago I had to rebuild the solenoids to get it to work.

It has worked great except the occasional will take off on you without pressing the pedal which is a danger. A couple days ago I bought new 6 volt x 8 batts for it. I completely scrubbed the corrosion off the frame and washed thoroughly with baking soda and rewired the batts. I turned the key on (switch was in forward) and it immediately took off at full speed and almost went through the back wall of my garage except a lawn mower and bbq grill worked like a crash barrier and slowed it enough for me to chase it and turn the ignition off. It could have hurt someone and glad it wasn't in reverse.

So would this have anything to do with the recall mentioned above thread or did I get something wet? My pedal was not depressed and I checked the micro switch in the pedal box and it was in the closed position. Shouldn't that keep this from happening?.. Thanks for any help!
Found the source of the sudden acceleration in my cart. While inspecting the wiring between the pedal box and the controller I found a 6” section of the wiring loom was packed with mud. I presume that it was from a dirt dobber wasps nest. The tightly packed mud was still wet from when I had sprayed the battery compartment down before the new batteries were installed. After removing the loom off the wires to clean you could see that the wire insulation was compromised where it had been in contact with the mud possibly for years. I repaired the wires and replaced the wiring loom and everything is good.

I hope this can help others that experience acceleration issues.

Tags
4x4, bad boy, bad boy buggy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO