lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Resistor to Controller conversion?

I have a nice 1988 G-2 36 volt Yamaha electric resistor type cart that I like. It has Dec.2009 T105 Trojan batteries and performs flawlessly. I would like to know if there would be enough run time gained to make the conversion worthwhile. speed is not important as it satisfies the driver/owner who is the Queen of the house,AKA my wife. She uses it around the yards with a box on the back and sometimes pulls a small dump trailer behind it. Would the conversion have to Yamaha specific or could the system from another brand of running donor cart be used? Any guesstimate of time and money needed? I would most likely do this myself as I have tools and equipment to do most of this sort of stuff. I am quite familiar with the resistor carts ,having owned 5 of them over the years and know how to read and follow instruction/repair manuals, and best of all follow advice from reputable sources. Would the run time gained justify the cost and trouble? Thanks for your thoughts and knowledge. Gene Davis
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor to Controller conversion?

I find that hauling a load or pulling a trailer are not jobs well suited to a Coil cart... They dump all their amperage whenever you touch the gas and the coils get hot. My wife runs a little 36v controller cart around the ranch.... she prefers the subdued response. The solid state speed control is like day & night when compared to the old resistor coil carts. They just sip the power when asked to go slow...... To the question are they worth it? That's a personal call. Are you still using a wall mounted telephone?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I converted my '91 G9 to solid state and it was well worth it for me. I use it for campground cruising and a little yard work. I have a "hybrid" system in that I used components from other carts, mostly Ezgo. Pot box is after market, wires are homemade, controller is a Curtis, and I got a HD solenoid from a friend. The wiring was accomplished with a lot of help from friends on another site. All in all, it was a fairly easy conversion and I have about $75 in the whole deal. My friends on the other site donated a lot of "stuff". Good luck with it!!!
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
gadavis
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info. What size controller do I need. It will never be used for anything more than the regular resistor cart delivers now. However I probably need a little reserve for safety margin. Gene Davis
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

400 is the most commonly used. That is probably all you will need. A MZ-J200D 200 amp solenoid and PB-6 Should keep you rolling.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
gadavis
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info. Scotty. Will schematics/diagrams come with the controller? What is an approximate retail cost of this controller and solenoid? Is a PB-6 the potentiometer?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkbilder View Post
I converted my '91 G9 to solid state and it was well worth it for me. I use it for campground cruising and a little yard work. I have a "hybrid" system in that I used components from other carts, mostly Ezgo. Pot box is after market, wires are homemade, controller is a Curtis, and I got a HD solenoid from a friend. The wiring was accomplished with a lot of help from friends on another site. All in all, it was a fairly easy conversion and I have about $75 in the whole deal. My friends on the other site donated a lot of "stuff". Good luck with it!!!
trkbilder, Thanks for the nice "helped me here reply"! I remember when you first asked this question. As I recall, members at "THIS SITE" gave you valuable help/info for what was needed to do the conversion. Not everyone will get "donated" parts. My gut feeling is...If your happy with the "OTHER SITE" , take your "ORANGE" reply and post it there!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
trkbilder, Thanks for the nice "helped me here reply"! I remember when you first asked this question. As I recall, members at "THIS SITE" gave you valuable help/info for what was needed to do the conversion. Not everyone will get "donated" parts. My gut feeling is...If your happy with the "OTHER SITE" , take your "ORANGE" reply and post it there!
No thanks, I like it here!!!
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadavis View Post
Thanks for the info. Scotty. Will schematics/diagrams come with the controller? What is an approximate retail cost of this controller and solenoid? Is a PB-6 the potentiometer?
The PB-6 is a Curtis Potentiometer. Retail about $100 The controller will vary but retail about $1 an amp. Good solenoids start at $60.... and you will need to make some 4g cables.... that will help give you an idea.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
gadavis
Gone Wild

Thanks for all this info. since I am not in a hurry, I will watch for a bargain to jump up for my project. Maybe a wrecked cart for a donor will show up. Gene Davis
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha