lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Strange problem with new marine 12v power socket

I am finishing up a cart rebuild, and everything was going well until I started testing my newly installed 12v cigarette light style power point. I plugged in two different phone chargers, and it blew the fuse on both of them!

Here is the item that I ordered and installed:

Amazon.com: Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Socket 12 VDC: Automotive Amazon.com: Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Socket 12 VDC: Automotive

The terminals on the socket are connected directly to my fuse block, which is connected to my 400 amp voltage reducer. You can see that the voltage is reading a nice 12.52v DC. You get the same reading if you stick the multimeter probes down in the socket.

When I first plugged in the phone charge into the socket and turned on the cart key, I heard a "pop" sound. I pulled out the charger and checked the fuse, and it was okay. Put it back in, and a few seconds later a louder pop, and the charger was warm. Fuse blown.

What am I missing? Because I'm a hard head I repeated the test with my wife's charger, blew that fuse too. These chargers had been working fine in our cars. I have several other things connected to the fuse block, all working fine. Headlights, stereo, and horn all work fine. All the things have their own dedicated 14 ga positive and negative wires connected to the fuse block:

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block Ato 6 Circuit with Ground: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block Ato 6 Circuit with Ground: Sports & Outdoors

Do I need to test the socket in a different way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerpoint1.jpg (63.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg powerpoint2.jpg (71.6 KB, 0 views)
wwford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Strange problem with new marine 12v power socket

Do you have the polarity backwards?
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It's funny you should ask that. It might have been backwards. When installing, I couldn't see the back of the socket well, and just plugged the terminal wires on as a wild guess.

When I removed the socket to do this posting tonight, I could see the + / - symbols on the back, and plugged the wires in thusly.

So if they had been backwards before, would that have made the fuse in the phone charger cable go poof? With the wires plugged in properly, the center pin of the socket is +, and the walls are -.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Absolutely make the charger go POOF !!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwford View Post
It's funny you should ask that. It might have been backwards. When installing, I couldn't see the back of the socket well, and just plugged the terminal wires on as a wild guess.

When I removed the socket to do this posting tonight, I could see the + / - symbols on the back, and plugged the wires in thusly.

So if they had been backwards before, would that have made the fuse in the phone charger cable go poof? With the wires plugged in properly, the center pin of the socket is +, and the walls are -.
Sounds like you have it correct now the walls should be - if I am remembering correctly, another way to be sure is put your meter on the socket in you vehicle, and yeah if it was backwards...poof anything you plugged in
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GatorClub View Post
poof anything you plugged in
Except something like a spotlight that doesn't care about polarity.
Down South is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It works great now that the wires are on correctly. Problem solved, much thanks. Ready to finish this project up! Now I'm off to every *$&% parts store in town to replace 5x20mm 15A mini fuses. My wife: "So after yours blew up, you put mine in there?"
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
03Villager
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It works great now that the wires are on correctly. Problem solved, much thanks. Ready to finish this project up! Now I'm off to every *$&% parts store in town to replace 5x20mm 15A mini fuses. My wife: "So after yours blew up, you put mine in there?"

Sorry man I have to go with your wife on this one!
03Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
n3rdmedia
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I actually had this exact same issue last night! After blowing a charger and giving it a goofy look, I preceded to plug another one up before I realized the issue!
n3rdmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Both my chargers were dead after this. New fuses in the chargers just popped immediately. Good luck!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car