lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Andyj
Not Yet Wild

Default Car runs for few seconds?

Hi!

Our company has a Yamaha golf cart that we left unplugged and unused for some time (couple months. I know, I know.)

We have a smart charger that reports that it charges successfully, and it "clicks" when I turn it on. However, it only runs for perhaps 10 seconds at a time before it just stops. No clicks, no nothing. I find that if I turn it to "tow" mode for a few minutes, I get a few more seconds of run time, but that's it.

Could the batteries perhaps need watering? Or is there some critical thing I'm missing? Thanks!
Andyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Car runs for few seconds?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

i would bet you have a failing battery. check all voltages on individual batteries right after it stops running, BEFORE you charge it. one battery will be significantly different than the others.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Andyj
Not Yet Wild

Hi guys,

I measured today, the car has six batteries and all of them measured 8v on a full charge except for one which only measured 7v. I ran it till it stopped and all the batteries still showed 8v except for the same different one which showed 5v now. Would this be enough to cause a problem? Should I replace it, or is there some rejuv process?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
nebguy
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are plates of lead is a sulfuric acid bath that produce chemical reactions along the surface of the lead plate giving you your voltage and making it a battery. Over time the plates get a build up of sulfur over its surface causing the charge to go down. This said there are processes out there to remove the sulfur from the plate and "reconditions" the battery for reuse. There are several process of doing this and varying degrees of how well they work. This said I would still replace your battery as falling that far in a charge after just a few seconds would leave me to believe there is a failing cell rather than a plate build up. If you are looking to do this cheaply there are many places that handle reconditioned batteries that will be less cost than a new one.
Just look in your phone book in the yellow pages for batteries and you will find someone who has das for buying old batteries and selling reconditioned ones. They will cost about 2/3 the price of a new one on average but still have good value for the money.
nebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Andyj
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
crash test dummy

i'm gonna get yelled at ... but you can buy 1 battery if the others are good ... also it can be used

but get new pack when you can

good read on batteries ---> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

since these batteries have a history of "sub-optimal" use characteristics, i wouldnt mix new ones in with them. i would go to a local cart repair shop or battery supplier and try to buy 1 decent used battery.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha