lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
bigdog1949
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default maintain batts for summer

leavin cart for summer,will be gone 6 months,should I leave it plugged in ?????
bigdog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: maintain batts for summer

No, you should have someone stop by once a month to plug charger and check water, also preferably drive it some. Even if your charger can automatically restart and maintain (i have seen many that claim they can, but dont), can your charger check your water. If having someone take care of it is not possible, the next best thing would be to fully charge them, and disconnect them from the charger and cart, and any taps for lights or accessories.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
bigdog1949
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks, I have a friend who charge it once every 2 months,and unplug the charger,thanks
bigdog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
No, you should have someone stop by once a month to plug charger and check water, also preferably drive it some. Even if your charger can automatically restart and maintain (i have seen many that claim they can, but dont), can your charger check your water. If having someone take care of it is not possible, the next best thing would be to fully charge them, and disconnect them from the charger and cart, and any taps for lights or accessories.
Not doubting you but I'm just curious, if the cart is sitting for awhile why do you prefer to leave it unplugged vs leaving it idle on the charger?
Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
rib33024

when the charge cycle is done and the charger turns off, you have to unplug the charger from the cart and then plug it back in to the cart for the charger to do another charge cycle,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

We have lots of "snowbirds" who leave for the summer months. I have seen carts come in totally flat dead, the charger says it will turn back on (some claim they will), but obviously didnt. And the charger cannot check the water while you are gone. A little driving "excersize" for the batteries during periods of non use is also good, because of the sloshing/mixing effect a condition called stratification can be prevented. This is where the heavier acid sinks to the bottom, while the lighter water goes to the top, this does not make the lead plates very happy.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
miker
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

good to know thanks
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
We have lots of "snowbirds" who leave for the summer months.
wow i thought only Florida had snow birds
thats how my son and i make summer money ... i take care of a couple dozen over the summer and then grease and clean them before they return .. a few request updates/repairs while they are gone too
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha