lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
steve1881
Not Yet Wild

Default The castle nut keeps spinning

I believe my driver's side back hub is bad I jacked up the back end and the passenger tire would spin fine but not the drivers side, when I would spin by hand the castle nut would turn but the hub would stay locked up, so I was going to try and take the hub apart to take a look and when I went to try, the castle nut would just keep turning and would not loosen does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what it could be or how to get the castle nut to loosen any input would be great
Thanks Steve
steve1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: The castle nut keeps spinning

the castle nut should have a cotter pin in it to keep it from spinning.
if it not that. you might have a stripped hub or stripped axel.
financethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the threads on the axle are stripped. That's not good. You will have to cut the nut off most likely and have to replace the axle. It's hardened steel so either a cutoff wheel or torch would be required.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
steve1881
Not Yet Wild

Well it doesn't sound good I guess I was hoping for just a bad hub thanks for the help guys
Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just to be sure that the axle shaft is not bad, I would split the castle nut using a Dremel cut-off wheel. You should then be able to remove the castle nut and get the drum off the axle without destroying the axle. Hopefully, all you will need to do is get a new drum. I think the cast iron drum fails before the steel axle splines do, but not sure. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

When you tried to loosen the castle nut was the cart still jacked up? If so it will spin the axle and the differential. Put it on the ground and instead of leaning on the wrench give it a hard tap with a mallet. That might shock the nut off. The hubs are made of pig steel and generally strip as the axles are hardened steel. With any luck you will just need a new hub, although if that is the case it may be prudent to buy two.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
steve1881
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
When you tried to loosen the castle nut was the cart still jacked up? If so it will spin the axle and the differential. Put it on the ground and instead of leaning on the wrench give it a hard tap with a mallet. That might shock the nut off. The hubs are made of pig steel and generally strip as the axles are hardened steel. With any luck you will just need a new hub, although if that is the case it may be prudent to buy two.

Good luck

Dave
Yes it was still jacked up, When I get home I will try lowering it and see if that makes a difference hopefully it does

Thanks for the idea
Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post

Good luck

Dave

This is what i thinking to, the hub is striped and the axle is turning with the nut, a air impact will help get the nut loose
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO