lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Flying Drummer
Not Yet Wild

Default Excessive Discharge Message w/ 48.6v

I have a 2007 48v Yamaha Drive with a DPI charger and am unable to charge my cart.

Batteries measure 48.6v and the cart drives fine. Hydrometer readings are shown below. The charger attempts to charge the battery (single yellow blinking light) for quite some time, then eventually displays the Excessive Discharge code (three red blinking lights).

I've replaced the PCB in the charger and verified readings per DPI tech support: P4 & P5 Terminals on PCB = 48.6 Vdc
Transformer outputs = 55 Vac

Any ideas what is causing the charger to think the batteries are excessively discharged?

Battery 1
Battery 2
Battery 3
Battery 4
Flying Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Excessive Discharge Message w/ 48.6v

That's because your batteries are discharged. 48.6 volts is only about 55% state of charge. The sticker on my hydrometer says "Check every cell. Recharge if reading less than 1.210 specific gravity". All of your batteries have cells reading less than 1.210. The sticker also says "Battery replacement indicated if more than 30 point difference between any two cells after battery has been charged". Battery's 3 and 4 have more than a 30 point spread between cells.

If I were you, I would charge each battery individually with a 12 volt charger and see where you are with the hydrometer then. If your batteries come back up after individual 12 volt recharge, your DPI charger will probably work again. If the batteries still have a 30 point or more spread between cells, it's time to look for new batteries I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,

Dave

BTW---Welcome to BGW.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

How old are the batteries? Those hydrometer readings say there gonzo. Expecially #3 and #4.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

1.250 and above are the SG readings you are needing to see. I'll bet the battery case is protruding up on the positive terminals (maybe the Neg terminals too). Sounds like batteries are toast. Charger is "timing out", taking too long to get to full. Does this cart sit unused alot (or has it in the past)? Sounds like batts that sit un-used alot, and high "top-off charge voltage". If this does not add up with your carts usage/lifestyle, and battery appearance description, a Battery Life Saver may help you restore them. But, be warned, it does draw power from the batteries, and should not be left on for long periods of time while you are "snowbirding" for months away from it. If you cant have it charged and maintained once or twice a month, this will do more harm than good.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Flying Drummer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the input. The cart is new to me. I'll try charging each battery individually w/ 12v charger and see what SG #'s I get. Sounds like I'll likely be replacing batteries.

This cart will get used a couple of times a week, but only for a few minutes each time. If I end up replacing batteries:

1) Any suggestions on decent batteries that don't break the bank?
2) Should I plan to leave the charger connected whenever I'm not using the cart?
Flying Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
sether2
Not Yet Wild

Flying Drummer, did you find a fix for your "Excessive Discharged" code? I too changed my PCB board on my DPI charger and I am geting the same code after it starts charging for a short time. My lowest hydrometer reading is 1.210 and no big difference between each cell on same battery.

Thanks,
Sether2
sether2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
sether2
Not Yet Wild

Found my Issue. I had the P7 and P3 (DC - and center transformer) wires switched when I installed the new PCB board; reversed the wires and all good.

Sether2
sether2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha