lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Bent Shaft?

I am working on an a 93 Marathon, but it's in great shape, everything is new on it, hubs (front and rear), springs, bushings, cables, batts, brake hardware, and tires. But I noticed the cart hops in the back. I initially thought out of round tires, but I swapped front to back, then I took I suspected the drums, but now I think the drivers side axle shaft may be ever so slightly bent, it's very, very difficult to tell with the naked eye when just the shaft is moving, but you put the hub or the hub and tire on and naturally the larger diameters exaggerate the condition.

I don't have a spare shaft handy at the moment, so what's the best way to tell if this shaft isn't straight? Remove it and use a straight edge on it or something, to see if it runs true?
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bent Shaft?

With the cart on jacks set up some type of (crude?) micrometer
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

I don't know but this kinda seems obvious to me, if your hub and wheel runs true on the other side then there's nothing left but the axle and bearing to blame it on.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
I don't know but this kinda seems obvious to me, if your hub and wheel runs true on the other side then there's nothing left but the axle and bearing to blame it on.
I would agree but the tires are for sure out of round, even though they are new, and the hubs are Korean imports, granted, I've never seen a hub be out of round, I am pretty much convinced it is the shaft as well just was trying to think of of a good way to prove conclusively prove it.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Set up some kind of crude dial indicator. Put the cart on jacks so it won't move and set up a dial indicator ( or rod or stick) and check it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial indicator.jpg (1.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Set up some kind of crude dial indicator. Put the cart on jacks so it won't move and set up a dial indicator ( or rod or stick) and check it?
Cart is on stands, what I will do is put my vise on the floor and put my Carpenter Square in the vice, and set the square next to the shaft. That should tell me. Thanks for gettin' the creative juices flowing.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

If it's not to bad you might be able to lesson the effect by adjusting the air pressure in the tires.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
Cart is on stands, what I will do is put my vise on the floor and put my Carpenter Square in the vice, and set the square next to the shaft. That should tell me. Thanks for gettin' the creative juices flowing.
There ya go
Get out of that box and stay out
Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

That's pretty much how I made the final decision that the axle on my Jeep was bent. I jacked it up, strapped it to a tree (just in case it jumped off the stands) and sat beside it with it in gear and tire rotating. I put an object like a small stick ruler next to it and it bumped the stick on every revolution. Just to make sure it wasn't the rim, I took the rim off and did the same operation against the brake hub. I bought a new axle and was back on the road, rolling smooth and true. Good luck with yours.

Let us know what you find.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, Update, I put my square in the vise and did determine the shaft was bent. Another one installed. Thanks for the ideas.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO