lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
mbwagner78
Not Yet Wild

Cool speed control issue 92 e z go electric

Hey
I have a 92 e z go electric that takes off and leaves burn outs in the driveway. I replaced resistors, board and contacts and the part that makes contact, and the solenoid, but it wants to take off way too fast. Is there something I'm missing? Some type of speed control ? I'm a new golf cart owner and am a little "green" at this. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Mary
mbwagner78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
CharlieH
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: speed control issue 92 e z go electric

I'm new at this too so I might not be alot of help,I had this issue with a 87 and it was a burned out resistor coil,seeing you already replaced it,does it do this as soon as the key is switched on? Make sure the contacts on the board are not touching in any way including any burs where they may have arced and be sure they are wired correctly to the resistors
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Mary...print off this diagram and compare with your cart. This should be the one you need.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1884/ezgo3bf8.jpg

FYI...the very bottom terminal on the wiper assembly is not used. This bare terminal is not shown in the diagram.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
mbwagner78
Not Yet Wild

Hey Charlie
Thanks for the help. This does it as soon as I press the pedal. I jacked up the back wheels and tested it and it looks like it it making good contact with the board. I may have melted my solenoid....the golf cart shop told me to wire my charger end incorrectly (I replaced it) when I plugged it in it blew a diode in the charger and I can see a burn spot on the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, will it send full voltage to the first contact? I can see a spark in the front of the cart ....like in the back of the F/R switch when I push the pedal down. I will print off the diagram and double check it.....I think it is wired up correctly but for some reason there is just too much voltage when I hit the gas..........maybe I should replace the contacts again, I did clean them off with some wet / dry sand paper but I can see where they are a bit melted....if they are melted together a little bit will that make it go crazy? I would guess it would. I will check it out again tomorrow. Thanks so much!
Mary
Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
CharlieH
Not Yet Wild

Hi,with what little experience I have the contacts touching will cause this,I removed my board took each one off and filed off any burs replaced them and used a sanding block to level them up as well as the wiper,the wiper needs to make full contact so be sure it is flush by installing it and moving it in full motion across the contacts,I had alot of arcing prior to doing that but none now.There is a microswitch that the accelerator arm touches that is below the solenoid that may be sticking or wired incorrect which might cause it as well.Like Roady89 stated "nothing" connects to the bottom contact on the board but the second from the bottom has a lead that goes to the 1st on your resistor and to your solenoid.I have worked on this one with the same issue for 2 days but this site has helped me alot as well as those diagrams!! Now it's running like it should
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

FYI: These older resistor coil carts are sending full power to the motor at every one of the 5 speed contact positions mentioned each and every time...Only by wasting x amount of amperage via the different size resistor coils do they regulate current to the motor (speed control) So, You either have contacts welded together or broken resistors you are stepping past...or the wiper board wired incorrectly? Get this cart back up on blocks and start testing per the diagram. Glad to hear you got the first problem solved.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
mbwagner78
Not Yet Wild

Hi
Yah...I replaced all the contacts at first but I think the solenoid was bad....so it melted the brand new contacts together a little bit when it arced. I also have all 3 new resistors in. I know they are all wired correctly. I have a couple extra contacts...I think I will replace the bad ones and and check the wiper arm to be sure it makes full contact with the board....but I do see a hot, black melted spot on my soenoid where the battery lead hooks up. Should I bite the bullet and get a new solenoid first..I just dont want it to arc and melt it again.....Or.....replace my contacts and hope the solenoid is good and won't melt the contacts again? What's a girl to do?(ha) Thanks
Mary
Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here's what I would do..I would try to isolate the problem. I would take tape and a pen and mark the speed control cables and remove them from the wiper board. Now slowly press the accelerator and test output at the studs. Be sure only one stud at a time is hot. My guess is you will find a problem in this area. If not proceed to the coils. Reconnect all speed cables to the now known good speed control board and mark and disconnect the motor at end of the coil resistor pack connect this to your voltage meter and check the resistor pack. Each resistor should allow an increasing amount of voltage to the motor. Only the last contact from your speed board is to be full (direct) power. I think u can stop worrying about the solenoid - it is a switch- it either works or it don't and yours works. Hope this helps...http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1208954832

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (128.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is a pic of a set or coil resistors (club car). They are all typical. These are color coded so it is easy to see how the power from each feed takes a different route (thru more coils) to the motor (white).First gear is on the right ( red) and high speed ( direct connect) on the left....make sure yours are all isolated from one another...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1209242542
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1049.jpg (139.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

mb, before I replaced my resistors I remember my speed board contacts would continually "weld up". I would file and sand to get them looking pretty and as soon as I hit the accell petal they would "weld up" again. My problem ended up being a break in the resistors. Double check them. Its not as obvious as you would expect. Good Luck
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO