lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

Question 1995 CC DS headlight wiring question

I bought what I think is a 1995 DS last weekend. The serial number is A9547-474966.

There are two serial number plates right next to each other. One is a metal plate with the numbers stamped in it and then next to it is another that is more like a sticker and it has a bar code under the numbers.

This cart is already lifted, with a windshield, aluminum rear flip seat, headlight/taillight kit (not turn signals or brake lights) and batteries bought earlier this month. I am starting to dig in to the wiring and have some questions. The headlights are tied in to two of the 8 volt batteries and a quick volt meter test across the fuse and ground showed 17.6 volts in the wiring.

My questions are: Did/Does someone make a "16 volt" headlight kit or did someone take a shortcut and hooked up the 12 volt kit to more voltage?

I have on order a 48 volt to 12 volt converter so I can put in a proper 12 volt system. I hope the parts arrive today so I can work on it this weekend.

Should I rewire the headlight kit to my new fuse block? If I do, will the lights be dimmer than on 16+ volts? I know that using the entire battery pack is better overall and I will get that converter hooked up to run other accessories.

This cart will be a hunting rig and I'm looking for a good way to mount a hitch to hold a road corn feeder. My rear seat is all aluminum so I don't think putting a hitch on the floor plate is a good idea. I am considering getting a brush guard, hitch, basket combo for the front end. Are these usually just attached with the two bolts through the front bumper?

Thanks for help, especially on the electrical.
Tim
TimOub007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 CC DS headlight wiring question

1. It is a 95 CC based on serial #.

2. Probably not a 16v headlight system . . pull a bulb from headlight and look at rating. They are probably VERY bright. Previous owner hooked up to 2 8v batteries because 1 battery made lights too dim.

3. Hook up 48-12v converter/reducer, run it to fuse block, tie light kit into proper 12v supply from fuse block . . .

4. Above all, remember to put unit into TOW MODE (if it has the TOW/RUN switch under seat) whenever working on ANY electrical component. After putting into TOW mode, then remove main + and - battery cables before proceeding to connect your reducer and wiring headlights, etc.

5. Have fun and welcome to BGW . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Steve. This model doesn't have the Tow/Run switch but I'll be sure to disconnect the battery pack when I start this project.

T
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOub007 View Post
Thanks for the reply Steve. This model doesn't have the Tow/Run switch but I'll be sure to disconnect the battery pack when I start this project.

T
. . .
Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOub007 View Post

T

it won,t have a run/tow switch and make certain you disconnect main pos and neg cables before doing anything......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both.

I've been working on it for the last few days. I got my fuse block that I ordered installed, the lights rewired in to it, a couple of 12 volt power outlets wired up to it and I added an overhead light also on the fuse block.

I'm still waiting on the FedEx guy to bring my voltage reducer so I can finish up the job though.

The lights were just tied in to two of the 8 volt batteries by the way. Sure a lot brighter than on just one battery.

Tim
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car