lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Personality Plug Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchCraft View Post
YEEEEEEHAWWWWW !!!!

21" tires here I come and that'll be the end of my speed quest.
Yeah, sure it will!
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
shaffer88
Gone Wild

That's what I thought but now I'm talking to plumb quick
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
You may (or will) have rubbing issues on a non-lifted cart running 21" tires. Max tire size on non-lifted cart is 20" and that's if your springs are in good condition.
I have a 2" HD lift kit from EZGO installed in it, so I should be able to use up to 23" if I'm not mistaken.
RitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My wife will shoot me if I get this thing much faster. I wiped out a few times on my weed whacker bike and she about had a fit each time. Now she's worried about me tipping or crashing the cart. I told her not to worry, when I get the bigger tires I'll make sure to get rims that widen the stance so I can take those turns at ludicrous speed!

Does anyone know what the stock size wiring is used on the batteries for a 2009 TXT? I've read that going to a larger size helps with speed as well. I want to stay with 21" tires. 23" seems too large after looking at some at the local dealer the other day.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The cables between controller and motor on my 2008 PDS were marked 4Ga, but five cables interconnecting the six batteries sure looked like 6Ga.
I replaced all 10 with silver soldered 2Ga.

Stock cables (Open end crimped lugs) ought to be replaced when the original batteries are replaced, if not before.

With larger cables, you may feel some improvement in low end torque (I did), but you won't see any increase in speed with a stock PDS controller because it limits the motor to 4,400RPM in freedom mode.

With stock height tires (18" tall), that is roughly 19MPH and theoretically:
20" = 21.0MPH
21" = 22.1MPH
22" = 23.2MPH
23" = 24.2MPH

However for every inch taller the tires are, you lose an additional 5% of the available torque, so you won't see the theoretical speed increases on the taller tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JB, you are a mountain of wealth on here. As you point out it does seem that the two wires going to the controller are a heavier gauge than the actual battery interconnection cables on my cart.

I've been looking around at prices for cable sets. Does a set of 2 gauge cables really cost $275? Where and how much are you guys and gals getting 2 gauge cables from?

If I have this right JB, if I put in 2 gauge cables this will help get 23" tires moving more efficiently because of the increase in torque. So in effect no speed gain from the thicker cables, but instead torque to help get things moving.

I know I mentioned in another thread that I thought 20MPH would be good enough, but I drove the crap out of my cart today to see what kind of distance I can expect and many times had cars piling up behind me. It looks like I'm striving for the 25MPH speed limit, or as close as possible. I put on roughly 8 miles today and my bar graph meter moved down 4 LEDs. Someone on here mentioned to try and not go down below 70% before a recharge. Does my range sound typical?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
patgrim00
Gone Wild

I rode about 13 miles with 4 people on my PDs with 500 alltrax controller and 25s when I got back my pack voltage was right at 36.4 on my Scotty b battery meter
patgrim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchCraft View Post
I've been looking around at prices for cable sets. Does a set of 2 gauge cables really cost $275? Where and how much are you guys and gals getting 2 gauge cables from?

Build your own for well under $100 including the crimper and cutters.

I made a set of PDS 1/0 gauge cables for $61 in material. I already had the tools to cut and crimp with.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
patgrim00
Gone Wild

I made my 2 gauge cables for right at $75
patgrim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well then I'll make my own. I've never crimped an end that big before though.

Does anyone have a source handy for 1Ga or 2Ga cable, terminals and the tool(s) I'll need to do this?

Thanks again for the speedy replies guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO