lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default 4$ speedometer mod...a must read!!!!

Here we go guys, another inexpensive mod. I had a Amazon gift card with a balance of 4.25$ so I did some searching to see what exactly 4.25$ could get me. Ended up running across a speedometer that is designed for bicycles so I said what the heck might as well try it out and see if I can mod it to my yamaha g29. I mean 4$ if it don't work I'm not gonna lose sleep. I will say there are several that look like what I purchased that are a actual name brand that cost more than 10$ but you have to pay shipping. There are some of the same that I purchased that are cheaper with free shipping but they ship from China which could be 5 weeks transit.

The little computer box has several functions. Speedometer, odometer, max speed, has a clock an several other functions I could care less about.

This picture is of the actual computer Is what the instructions call it. I simply used some double side stick on Velcro to attach it to the dash. The little computer slides in and out of a docking station cradle for ease of adjustments or if you need to wash the cart you just put it in your pocket for protection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.7 KB, 0 views)
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: 4$ speedometer mod...a must read!!!!

The wire that attaches to the docking station and to the actual sensor is a bit short so I simply added a short piece of speaker wire laying around and soldered and heat shrink wrapped the new connections. The sensor I used the included cable ties and secured it to the top of the spindle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

That link does not work for me
However I could see a bicycle computer working. On most of them you just tell it what size tire you are using and it will work
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The magnet in the kit is mounted inside a plastic tube intended for mounting to the spokes on the bicycle. I simply pushed the little magnet out of the tube and used a dab of gorilla super glue to secure it to the metal area of the hub. The instructions call for 1 to 2 mm of clearance between the magnet and sensor so position the sensor accordingly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

If you do lose the magnet it's the same magnet that my kids alphabet letters are attached to the refrigerator.

Here is the picture of the kit I got on Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Calibration is very easy. You measure the diameter of your tire and convert the total inches to mm then you multiply that total by 3.14. My tire is 20.2 inches tall and when you convert that number to mm you get 513mm multiplied by 3.14 and the grand total is 1611mm total. You enter the 1611 into the little computer and it calibrates your speed. This unit is actually pretty accurate. I tested it and compared it to my iPhone gps app, Garmin hand held GPS, and a tom Tom dash mount style GPS. All 4 devices were showing the same maximum speed. Makes me feel confident that it's legit.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The little alphabet letters I was talking about incase you ever lose the magnet from the hub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
The little alphabet letters I was talking about incase you ever lose the magnet from the hub.
Ha Ha Ha, no word shall ever be made with the letter B again !
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Ha Ha Ha, no word shall ever be made with the letter B again !
That's no ig deal! I wouldn't worry a out it.
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Other items to mention is to leave some slack in the sensor wire for the steering to have enough clearance. I slid a section heat shrink tubing and some split loom to help protect this area of wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha