lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
davidwjacob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile 1990 ezgo marathon

Hello All,

Just got a golf cart yesterday and found this forum last night. I have been searching and took the manuf ID and Serial # and found that my golf cart is a 1990 ezgo gas marathon . I need to replace the carb on the cart, but how do i find out if its 1990.5 or earlier?

or can someone get me the part number for the carb? I dont have the old carb at all. also while im doing this i want to replace the fuel pump also.

Thank and look forward to talking to everyone here.

Dave :)
davidwjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 ezgo marathon

Is it a 2 stroke, or a 4 stroke?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
davidwjacob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

im sorry , its a 2 stroke, i jsut went out and started tinkering with it and took the cover in the back off and the carb is on there, the guy i got it from last night said the carb was not there, i dont know what the heck he was talking about.

its a serial # 614213 manuf code : K2090

which on the ezgo lookup shows this:
1990 Gas Marathon GX244 2 cycle

i took out the plug and it was all loaded up. i cleaned it and checked for spark and spark looks good.

i cleaned the carb and its still not starting up, if i shoot it with ether it fires right up and runs great , so it seems i have a fuel problem.

After doing some reading i am wondering if its the fuel pump. I looked and found the fuel pump next to the gas tank. is the only thing holding the gas tank on the 2 bolts to the right of the tank? it looks like i need to get the gas tank out to get the fuel pump out.

Here is the pic of the fuel pump:
ht tps://goo.gl/photos/RdchMrspvbJinEnVA

I also have a question about how to remove the choke cable from the carb. i dont know if i am missing something here, but i cant seem to get it off. its frayed and needs replacing.

ht tps://goo.gl/photos/ic5cU8aGUJCmnFYJ8

1 more question, is this a check valve or something? does anyone know?
ht tps://goo.gl/photos/Vh7i8KBD6fuUTqYt6

I hope these links work.
Thank you all,
Dave
Old 05-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Let's start with the choke cable.
That knob at the end of the cable is a ferrule. There is an Allen screw in the side of it that is holding the cable.

The last picture might be a check valve. I have never seen one before, but I am not familiar with the 3pg engines. That's what you have when searching for parts.

In the first picture, all I could see was a fuel filter. I'm assuming that you have a remote mount fuel pump. Look at the bottom left corner of this page. https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-parts/fuel-pumps/

I would check the pump for ripped diaphragms.

In your second picture, I saw that your oil injection banjo is still connected to the intake manifold. The best thing to do is remove that banjo, plug the hole with a 6mm screw, and premix your gas 128:1. That's one ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

Trace that back to see if it leads to an ignitor box that isn't being used. I'm wondering if somebody did an HEI mod to the ignition system.You can read about that in the stickies above.

This is what a ripped diaphragm looks like. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
davidwjacob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 1990 ezgo marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Let's start with the choke cable.
That knob at the end of the cable is a ferrule. There is an Allen screw in the side of it that is holding the cable.

The last picture might be a check valve. I have never seen one before, but I am not familiar with the 3pg engines. That's what you have when searching for parts.

In the first picture, all I could see was a fuel filter. I'm assuming that you have a remote mount fuel pump. Look at the bottom left corner of this page. https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-parts/fuel-pumps/

I would check the pump for ripped diaphragms.

In your second picture, I saw that your oil injection banjo is still connected to the intake manifold. The best thing to do is remove that banjo, plug the hole with a 6mm screw, and premix your gas 128:1. That's one ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

Trace that back to see if it leads to an ignitor box that isn't being used. I'm wondering if somebody did an HEI mod to the ignition system.You can read about that in the stickies above.

This is what a ripped diaphragm looks like. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
Cart Around,

Thanks, I did see the little thing at the end of the cable and whoever had it before me must have stripped it out as i cannot get any allen key to fit in there. I figured that was the case however i wanted to make sure that was not a rivit or something and i was missing something obvious.

I will disco the oil injector and plug that up and mix my own.

There is a remote mount fuel pump. i have been doing some reading on post about these. I am working on getting the fuel tank out so i can check the fuel pump. there is alot of stripped out screws and stuff on this golf cart.

Thanks for the information and the advice. i will ask around about if there should be a check valve in the fuel line.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
davidwjacob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

The manual i downloaded says 40:1 but you say 128:1 , just want to be sure what to run as im removing the oil tank today.

Thank in advance,
Dave
Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I don't see a fuel pump in the first pic, Perhaps it's on the side of the tank in the shadow??

I have an 85 2 cycle without oil injection that mixes 128:1, Sorry I'm not sure what your 90 mixes at...

The third pic looks like an in-line oil filter for the injection that you're going to remove anyway, follow the hose to see where it goes for sure.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
davidwjacob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks, i mixed 1 ounce per gallon.
Dave
Old 05-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

40:1 is for the first tank full on a brand new engine. 128:1 after that.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
davidwjacob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
40:1 is for the first tank full on a brand new engine. 128:1 after that.
Ok thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO