lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool White acid crust under batteries

08', PDS/TXT, looked under the cart the other day to figure out where the 'ground lights' were going to be connected/positioned, I noticed the battery tray crossbars have white acid build up on them. Is this common? Is this a major concern? Other than baking soda to remove it, anything else I can do for provention??
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: White acid crust under batteries

Depending on how much corrision is accmulated would determine if you should pull the batteries and neutralize everything. I use the spray on neutralizer from Autozone or other stores as well as "Coca Cola" to soak the battery cables. If it were my cart I would pull the batteries and neutralize the rack/ frame and associated components and the batteries. Keep in mind if you do this in your concrete driveway you can expect a very large rust stain so you may want to think out where you are going to do this at.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

... Ok, pulled and cleaned/neutralized.. wondering if a quart of bedliner to roll on the bottom of the basket area would be a preventative barrier from any acid to metal co-habitation...
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

bedliner or anything like that is better than nothing...I use a coat of spray paint...then after that dries I use a coat of undercoating. The best way to prevent this in the beginning is to make sure your batteries arent overfilled and boiling over down onto the battery box...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Like Camero says the common cause is over filling. Water should cover the plates by 1/4 to 3/8th inch only, this leaves room for expansion and splashing during the heavy bulk and gassing stages of the charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3690.JPG (371.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4146web.jpg (91.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5709web.jpg (57.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm wondering...........if you didn't want to remove the batteries, could one use compressed air, or even a power washer (as long as you kept it away from the top of the batteries)?
I just usually pour baking soda water down the sides of the batteries and in-between them and let it sit for a little while, and then hose it off. You can get quite a big of gunk out that way.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
I'm wondering...........if you didn't want to remove the batteries, could one use compressed air, or even a power washer (as long as you kept it away from the top of the batteries)?
I just usually pour baking soda water down the sides of the batteries and in-between them and let it sit for a little while, and then hose it off. You can get quite a big of gunk out that way.
After neutralization, I flood everything with the garden hose. Getting water on the battery tops won't hurt them a bit. After reading one of scottyb's posts I then turn the leaf blower on to accelerate drying time. Every now and again, I touch up the terminal protector(it flakes off after a few washes) and re-apply dielectric grease to the motor poles.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
TGJR
Gone Wild

I've noticed a small amount under a few of mine. These are 1-year-old batteries that are still factory full. I haven't added a drop of water to them. Is it possible for them to leak out the vents while riding on rough terrain?
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes it is possible for water to slosh out the vent hole... I tipped one too much on a hand truck and water was immediately flowing out of the caps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it wise to disconnect something before using the hose on it?
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO