lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
technician#2
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default My Buggy Wont Pull Fwd Or Bkwd??

Hey guys,
I just got my 2000 buggy converted over to a 16 hp Kohler engine pulled from a running Cub Cadet mower!! Lots of work, first run (yesterday late), I was all keyed up to ride, backed it up with no problem and took off ok, got about 150 feet and it just quit pulling. I could not go forward or reverse????
This is really a let down, I dont quite know where to start on this. I know it has to be in the differential, but I don't understand how the forward-reverse part works on these buggies. Do they have clutches for each direction, or what? Does anyone have a copy of the transaxle manual they could post?
This is what I found in the service manual from BGW : [[For further axle information, see Four Cycle Transaxle Shop Rebuild and Service Parts
Manual P/N 27660-
G01.]] I apreciate any and all help that any of you could post, as this has got me stumped! BTW.. I noticed that if I lock the park brakes, that I can turn the driven clutch pulley by hand with some small effort. This was noticed while the conversion was in progress, and I just assumed it was normal, as I have never owned on of these wonderful toyz before. But being technicaly inclined, it seemed like it should not slip as much internally as it did, and I just kinda blew that off as something to look at later. Maybe now I know why the state put it up for sale in the auction. I have a small oil leak (front seal behind the flywheel) on this engine, and I plan pulling it and doing a rebuild and some other clean up stuff on the mount, and doing some customizing in the spring when it warms up a little, I just wanted to see this thing run for now. Notice the stock EZGO clutch on the stock Kohler engine shaft? No modifications at all, just impacted the bolt down tight, it holds great!
thanx guys... I love this place, my second home!
technician#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
technician#2
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My Buggy Wont Pull Fwd Or Bkwd??

A few more pictures:
The first is what happens when you let your un-sober-ex- boss help load the cart with a forklift and not pay attention to your insistent directions to "whoa..stop"!!! Good reason for the mod to the front end.
Also a better view of the motor with the stock clutch installed. The shaft just happend to be the same OD as the clutch ID in the last half inch or so. A very tight fit. Will be turning an adaptor on the lathe later on to fit over the engine shaft with the the proper angel for the clutch taper. Also a slight mod to the air filter assembly! For anyone trying this modification, you have to be careful about making room for the oil filter on the motor mount. I had to pull mine and modify it after it was installed because the filter hit the drivers side axle mount. Also the shifter cable bracket has to be removed, that will have to be re mounted elsewhere.
more later....
Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

checked for a stripped hub, happens a lot
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
technician#2
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
checked for a stripped hub, happens a lot
Thanx Ruredy, I will go check that right now. Should the brakes totally lock the transaxle up so that you can not turn the driven clutch pulley when it is parked (brakes all the way down and locked)?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
technician#2
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, I assumed you were referring to the driven clutch hub? I pulled it from the transaxle and using my hand, I can turn the splined drive axle with some restriction. The brakes are locked, so I should not be able to turn with the transaxle in gear, correct?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I mean wheel hub, put the brakes on and if the bolt that holds them on will turn while turning the driven clutch you've stripped a hub. It normally happens to the passenger side rear. It's a weaker link built into the system to keep from messing up other things. The hubs have to be put on REAL tight with no backing off on the nut to install the cotter pin. If this is not done it will strip the hub, the axles are harden and will survive this.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
technician#2
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ruredy, YOU DA MAN!!You hit it right on the nail, stripped out hub, back right side. I did a little "coke can engineering " to test it out, and it pulls like it should. I had promised my granddaughter a ride as soon as it was running and she got it, cool weather and all. I love the way she runs, I have the governor hooked up and everything, now I need to engineer a muffler for it, it's a little too loud for me with a strait pipe.
THANX again
Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
dzig_33
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So what was the coke can engineering you did to make it work, and is this a temporary fix? A friend has one he wants me to work on and I hope the problem is the same.
dzig_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO