lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default 48v Conversion

Started working on my 48v conversion this afternoon. Built my own set of 1/0 gauge cables using welding wire "scraps" I bought on Ebay and terminals I bought on Ebay (have not built the cables that go from controller to motor and from F&R to controller/solenoid yet - see below). Total cost about $40. 2 issues right now that are basically "space" issues. I had lithium in my cart but bms screwed up and my daughter went under voltage multiple times (despite the digital voltmeter on dash) and the batteries just don't hold a charge any more. I don't think my onboard charger and 12v accessory battery will fit together under the driver's side part of the seat so I may move the battery to the passenger side. Problem is, where do I mount my Alltrax SPM48500? Unlike most of you, I actually use the cart for golf so the rear well is out. Other option is getting a 48 -12v reducer but I don't think I can get one of them locally and want to finish the project tommorow. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Last edited by benjylafond; 09-25-2015 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: typo
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 48v Conversion

go with the 48 -12v reducer
a week hurts you ?
order one from scottyb and he gets it to you 3~5 days

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/DC_Reducer.html
Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lithium without BMS == short battery life!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Lithium without BMS == short battery life!
Yes indeed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well you didn't say how you intend to get to 48v.....8 x 6v, or 6 x 8v? if you go with the 6 x 8v configuration you just put your controller in the STOCK location and mount it to the stock heat sink and put a voltage reducer on the other side.

Under the Seat.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

6 8v. Just trying to figure out how to mount onboard charger and 12v accessory battery. Reducer may be my only option.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Are you still using the stock controller mount? If so cut the back of the feet off. It will let you push it closer to the fender and give you more room in front of it.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjylafond View Post
6 8v. Just trying to figure out how to mount onboard charger and 12v accessory battery. Reducer may be my only option.
not sure what the on-board charger looks like or how to mount it, but this is what my voltage reducer/fuse block set up looks hike installed. this was before I finished the wiring or the body was installed.

DC to DC Converter.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pass on the onboard charger - the vibration and heat of onboard mounting shorten the useful life of these chargers.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Pass on the onboard charger - the vibration and heat of onboard mounting shorten the useful life of these chargers.
I never had a problem with my QuickCharge 36v charger it was built like a tank! Had to replace the board on my Powerwise charger twice. DeltaQ QuiQ 48v charger doesn't seem as solid, but I figure if it could handle the beating a Polaris Ranger gave it, an on road, on course golf cart shouldn't be a big deal. I like the convenience of the onboard charger. My daughter has a habit of driving my cart and not plugging it back in so it is nice to be able to plug in the cart at the club while I'm having a few brews waiting on my tee time!

I will probably use the reducer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO