lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 Club Car DS Steering Binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Tex View Post
Ok based on that picture the measurement is right at 14 7/8. If I extend that length some I think that will solve my problem but its right on what you said it should be.
If that measurement is correct, then you need to send me a better picture of the back of the shock tower where the rack is bolted to it. It could have been wrecked and twisted the shock tower. Ultimately, the input shaft of the rack is too close to the end of the steering column, forcing the knuckle to bind. Now that we know your frame is correct, the shock tower is where I'd look next. It's hard for me to tell based on the first picture you posted. It's small and it's sideways. The back of the shock tower should be perfectly flat. If it's twisted ever so slightly, it'll cause problems.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
Space_Tex
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok I went ahead and took the front end off since I figure I'll have to do that reguardless. Here are some pictures. The bracket seems like its at an odd angle but looks stock. Nothing seems twisted to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (138.8 KB, 0 views)
Space_Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
Space_Tex
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

All the pics didnt attach...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (149.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Take a picture from the passenger side of the cart kneeling down. Shoot the camera across the back of the shock tower. I can't tell anything from those pics.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #15
Space_Tex
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (172.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Great picture, but it doesn't appear to be bent. I wish I could see this cart in person.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #17
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Looking back at your pic on post 13, the rack appears to be nearly perfectly parallel with the shock tower. The rack should sit on an angle. This definitely isn't correct. It should be angled back away from the steering column instead of sitting perfectly parallel with the width of the cart. I think the shock tower is bent, but it's bent in a different way than they normally bend and it's hard to detect with the naked eye, especially through pictures. I'll see if I can take a picture of a new shock tower at work tomorrow and I'll post it here.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Looking back at your pic on post 13, the rack appears to be nearly perfectly parallel with the shock tower. The rack should sit on an angle. This definitely isn't correct. It should be angled back away from the steering column instead of sitting perfectly parallel with the width of the cart. I think the shock tower is bent, but it's bent in a different way than they normally bend and it's hard to detect with the naked eye, especially through pictures. I'll see if I can take a picture of a new shock tower at work tomorrow and I'll post it here.

yeah i think your right, whenever the frame or more specifically the area you mount the steering rack on is bent, forget about equal turning radius and proper alignment lol. someone probably crashed that thing at some point. in one picture it didn't look like the teeth on the steering wheel shaft were seated completely in the upper joint either.

steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
Space_Tex
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I started making some new brackets yesterday and will try to finish them up today before I go out of town for the weekend. Hopefully stretching it out by a couple inches does the trick. From every way I've looked at it this should solve my problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #20
Space_Tex
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Finished the new brackets yesterday and now the steering is very smooth. The brackets were a pain to make but worth the extra time it took to make sure everything was square. It just needed to he extended by about 2 inches to give the u joint more clearance. Thanks for the help!

Tags
binding, club car, steering, u joint
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car