lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
NEKSCC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2000 CC DS speed

Recently purchased a 2000 Club Car DS 48V 2 seater with what I have been told is the old style GE shunt motor and Regen 1 or 2. Everything on the cart is stock. Since getting the cart I have experienced issues with the cart slowing to 5mph on even the slightest of inclines. On flat ground it seems to average 12 mph. Don't have a need for anything in the mid 20s or to pull loads but would like to get the top speed closer to 20 if possible. Interstate batteries are less than a year old and have tested fine (all around 8.6v individually and 52v overall without a load). Have not load tested yet.

After reading through many threads I'm trying to decide my first step. Where is the logical place to start when trying to get this thing get the cart sped up on inclines and a little more overall top speed? Would a high speed magnet for GE IQ system do me any good since it is a regen 1 or 2 or am I better off just disconnecting speed sensor? Would bypassing the dynamic braking solenoid be of any benefit?

Grateful for any ideas! Thank you!
NEKSCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 CC DS speed

It could be you dynamatic solenoid is failing and the cart is trying to run the power through the coil. Unhook the speed sensor and bypass the solenoid by hooking both large cables to the same side on the dynamatic solenoid.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
NEKSCC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the info. The current speed sensor is a little different than the replacement ones I have seen. Appears to be a TMC 6720H001. Will this make a difference?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

12 MPH is normal for a Regen 1/2 car. A 2000 model would be a Regen 2. Alltrax makes a replacement controller for the Regen 2 system. It'll get a bit more speed out of the factory motor, but more importantly it will allow you to run an aftermarket high speed motor to get a substantial increase of speed.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like a regen 2 cart, and they're not really "peppy" up hill, but it does sound like something else is going on. If it has a rear seat, you'll need to remove that to get to the access panel, remove the panel and see if you have 2 solenoids, one on either side of the controller. The one on the drivers side (left side) will have a big coil attached. If the solenoid fails all the current from the motor has to go through the coil which slows it way down, and makes the resistor coil very hot. Very slow up hills and very slow acceleration.

Most of my older carts are this design and when those solenoids fail it's almost always due to an open circuit in the activation coil inside the solenoid.
Cart in Tow, remove the pack negative battery cable. Remove the small wires from the small terminals and check resistance across the small terminals. A working solenoid should show something like 340 ohms if I remember right. A dead solenoid will show infinite ohms, no continuity across the small terminals.

If the solenoid is dead it can be bypassed and might get you another 2-3mph, which is probably not enough for what you're after. If you want to get up to near 20 mph, it would be best to start with a controller upgrade, and would be a good idea to upgrade the Pie wedge throttle box to an MCOR4.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
NEKSCC
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the assistance. I have bypassed the dynamic solenoid and it seems to have restored the speed back to the 12-14 mph range.

When the cart is switched to Forward and I apply the parking brake the cart will try to lunge forward and can hear a cycling sound. Would this be an OBC issue?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

More likely a throttle linkage issue or the pivots for the Go pedal are worn so it's not returning all the way and pulling against the arm in the V glide. Also check the adjustment rod that goes through the return spring. If the adjustment is too tight (shortens the spring) the pedal will not return all the way.

Also possible if the V-glide has been replaced in the past that it is not adjusted properly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car