lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #1
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Default How to wire 12 volt subwoofer with 6 volt batteries.

Hi guys. Thanks for reading. I bought a Rockford fosgate punch 8" sub for the cart. I know how to wire in series to get 12 volts out of 2 6 volt batteries. My concern is that the installation manual for the subwoofer says run the positive red wire to the battery and the negative black wire to a ground on the golf cart. So how do I get 12 volts and still ground safely? Do I just run the ground to the second battery in the series? Or am I am dum dum for buying this? I have seen the 6 to 12 volt converters but they tend to be for lower wattage. This sub has a 300 watt amp. I have done some searching around and it seems that I can do this although it is not recommended due to drawing down the two batteries further than the others. I am mostly concerned about the ground situation. Is it safe to ground to the second battery? Thanks again.
DieselPlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to wire 12 volt subwoofer with 6 volt batteries.

The instruction you have are for a standard AUTOMOTIVE install, in a regular automotive install you COULD ground directly to the frame, HOWEVER, in carts, NOTHINJG is grounded to the frame, the electrical system is a closed loop.....so to answer your question, to ground the amp using 2 batteries in series for your power source, YES connect the ground side of the amp directly to the second batteries negative post.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
The instruction you have are for a standard AUTOMOTIVE install, in a regular automotive install you COULD ground directly to the frame, HOWEVER, in carts, NOTHINJG is grounded to the frame, the electrical system is a closed loop.....so to answer your question, to ground the amp using 2 batteries in series for your power source, YES connect the ground side of the amp directly to the second batteries negative post.
Thank you. I appreciate the info!
T
DieselPlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Except you really should use a step-down converter to draw evenly from all the batteries.
The 300 watt rating on that amp is most likely very optimistic.
But even so, 300 watts at 12 volts is only 25 amps.
You can buy a converter for $30 or $40 that should handle that.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What I did was run a spare 12V battery. As Nuke said, never 'ground' anything to the frame of an electric cart. The positive and negative run to the 12v battery (or two 6V batteries in series).

Later, when I switched to Lithium I switched the 12v battery to lithium too, but I ran the lead acid car battery for a good long while. Then you don't have to worry about the converter not providing the heavy demand of an amplifier along with the stereo, head lights, USB charger, etc, all at once.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO