lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
daydreamer1948
Not Yet Wild

Default Forward to reverse

Hey Guys,my first post,and my first golf cart,although my Miata isn't much more than that. It's a CC gas,and I know about nothing about it. The guy I got it from says the motor starts and runs backward to go in reverse,and forward to go forward. Is this right,or is there an actual forward and reverse gear in the rear end? I disconnected the pedal kill switch,and pedal start,and installed a start button. The cart runs great,after a carb cleaning and a new battery,and drives great forward,but I can't get it to go into reverse. I tried shutting down the motor,and shifting into reverse before starting the motor,but it still goes forward.
daydreamer1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Forward to reverse

That seller was funny
Are you sure it is a Club Car? Cuz Club Car never ran a motor in reverse it was the first cart with a transmission in the rear end.( a transaxle as all carts had later) ..... So check to see if the micro switch At the F&R in recerse is working the same as the one for forward is
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
daydreamer1948
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. It reads Club Car on the front,and Club Car on the motor,so I guess it's a Club Car. Has a large lever on top of the transaxel,which the F&R lever shifts. It seems to be moving full travel in both directions when shifted,and a smaller lever down on the lower front of the transaxel,which seems to have something to do with the carb,or maybe the rev limiter. I had it jacked up earlier today and I'm pretty sure when shifted into reverse,the wheels were turning backward,but now that it is on the ground,it will not move,when shifted into reverse. It got dark and I had to quit for today,so I guess I'll jack it up again tomorrow and check it some more. Now that I know how it is supposed to work it may be easier to figure out.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
daydreamer1948
Not Yet Wild

Well,I figured out the problem. My cart is stuck in forward gear. I think I have neutral,but when I put it in R,it goes in,but just locks up the tranny. Anybody know how to get it out of forward? I disconnected the shift cable,and when shifted manually it clicks into R with a nice solid click,but when trying to put it back into F,it does not click in like it should. I think it went into F,but when shifted out,the shifter moved,but the gear stayed in.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
bigd
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer1948 View Post
Well,I figured out the problem. My cart is stuck in forward gear. I think I have neutral,but when I put it in R,it goes in,but just locks up the tranny. Anybody know how to get it out of forward? I disconnected the shift cable,and when shifted manually it clicks into R with a nice solid click,but when trying to put it back into F,it does not click in like it should. I think it went into F,but when shifted out,the shifter moved,but the gear stayed in.
try disconecting the shifer cable off the rear switch it manually if works good , if not you may have more problems. ijust blew one of thse up yestreday i have 340 snow mobile engine runnig mine will take apart 2morow and see whats happened
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
daydreamer1948
Not Yet Wild

Hey Guys, If anyone is interested,I figured out what was wrong,and how to fix it. The brass syncro ring was stuck,kinda glued to the forward gear with old sticky gear oil. I cut a small square hole in the back side of the gear case,looked inside and saw the problem,used a screwdriver to get the syncro loose and poured some fresh gear oil on the syncro,and now it shifts fine and all the gears work. I made a small aluminum patch with a screw in each corner,with a small bead of silicone to cover the inspection hole,changed the gear oil,which didn't look like it had ever been changed,and it now works great. This cart had been parked for several years and the syncro drum is high up out of the oil,and the old gear oil just dried up and turned to glue.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
highrollinmopars
Gone Wild

Club Car

Whatever gear it will go in run it in that gear and go as fast as you can and slam it into the other gear. It wont actually engage in the other gear but it will make it pop out of whatever gear its stuck in and start working right. If that dosnt work you will need a tranny prob. Call Tom at CCP he the one that told me this little trick. It fixed my tranny just sounds crazy.
highrollinmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I can't believe I just read that highrollin, I wouldn't suggest that to anyone as the proper way to fix anything in a transaxle,
This is BuggiesGoneWild, not ShadetreeDoinghalfass.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Man, that sounds scary to me. Maybe we can hear from Tom on this.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
highrollinmopars
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey it fixed my locked up tranny. Sounds crazy but Tom at CCP told me that this is what a Club Car Rep told him to do as it was not a uncommon problem. Crash12888 as for being a shadetreehalfass builder you should se some of my many projects. I promise you my toys gave been spared no expense. I have some of the most well built projects you can put together. But dont get me started there Im sure you didn't mean for that to be the way it sounded.
highrollinmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car