lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
1maynard
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 Marathon gas driven clutch.

This is my first post on this fine site. II have been trying to find the correct driven clutch for my 88 Marathon. I ordered one that is supposed to fit 76-88 but it is 1/2 inch smaller in diameter. Needless to say, now the belt is too long. I can put it on without opening the clutch sheaves. My old clutch is 10 inches in diameter and the replacement is 9.4 inches. Any suggestions? My old clutch is shot, bushing is worn out and the bore is wallowed out. I thought about trying a 76-87 belt as it is listed as 1/2 inch shorter.
1maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2022, 06:28 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 88 Marathon gas driven clutch.

Could it be the clutch on your cart now is not the correct one? If your belt is too long, just order the shorter belt. IMO that's the easiest solution. Performance wise I don't know if you'd notice any difference in the size difference of the clutch. Usually larger clutches will have a lower starting gear ratio, but .6" isn't that much of a difference.

Could the difference between the clutch types be that one is for a 4 stroke and the other for a 2 stroke?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
1maynard
Not Yet Wild

I have looked at various venders and most seem to be selling the same driven clutch. My nephew has a 85 marathon and it has the same clutch as mine, 10 inches od. I would really like to find the correct clutch. I might try the belt from a 87 on back that is 1/2 inch shorter than the 88 belt just to see if it would work.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
1maynard
Not Yet Wild

I think that I have found the correct replacement clutch for my cart. I searched for a Comet driven clutch for a EZGO 76-88 Marathon and a dealer popped up on EBay. The clutch looks just like my old one and it is 10 inch od. I will know for sure next week when it comes in. If it is correct, I will post a link.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO