lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Electroman1975
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Ran out of gas and my only 95 ds only idles, Had to prime fuel pump

I am posting this because I solved my problem, but couldn't find help easily when I was doing so. I had another thread going, but I didn't title it correctly, for it to be found easy in a search. Hence, this post.

Problem:
We ran our 1995 Club Car Carryall 2 plus out of fuel, and after adding gas, it would only idle. This cart ran like a champ prior, so I was a little boggled

Solution:

YOUR PUMP NEEDS PRIMED! How do you do that? Turn engine on, take off gas cap, put rag around filler hole, and BLOW HARD into your gas tank a few times. Make sure the seal is good. To be honest, I didn't use a rag. I just put my whole mouth around filler hole, so I could pressurize the tank with no leaks. Yep, I have a big mouth! Tasted like gas, but worked. Took me 3 times and the engine began to purr and I saw fuel in the filter again. My kids are out riding it now!

That was my problem and solution.

I also found out you should check all of you hose connections, to make sure they are tight and no air leaks. While you are doing this, you might as well throw in a new fuel filter. If you have to go buy one, buy 3 to have around. They are cheap. The hose coming off the bottom of fuel pump and going to crank case can be blocked with oil, if oil reservoir is over filled. this will diminish your pump's power. Take off hose, blow out, check for cracks or leaks, and reinstall. Also check and clean gas tube inside of the tank. Mine unthreaded and I could remove it to clean. When no air leaks are found, you can take the fuel line off at top of tank and feel a tiny bit of suction. I didn't have vacuum tool, I used my finger. If you take the fuel line off the left side of pump, the one going to the fuel filter near engine, you can place you hand about two inches away and feel air puffing out faintly. Once again, I didn't have tool, just seeing if anything was working. Remember, this is all run off crankcase suction, it will be low pressure. If it seems you have suction and blowing where you should, then you probably can prime the pump as your fix, as described above, if this sounds like your scenario.

I am not a golf cart mechanic, just an electrician with common sense and a need to tinker with the used stuff I buy for my family, so I don't have to pay someone else. I truly enjoy problem solving, and forums like this are a great help to mechanically inclined people who love to know how things work, and love even more to solve their own problems. Good luck!
Electroman1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Ran out of gas and my only 95 ds only idles, Had to prime fuel pump

good post. you can also use a rag and air blower from a compressor. works great and you don't get the taste.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good info
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
ALFIE0077
Not Yet Wild

remove the gas line at the engine. Point the line up. THEN blow into the tank. This will remove air from the line. Then put the hose back on the carb, and tighten it up. Starts much better!
ALFIE0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It takes a few seconds of cranking to get fuel from the tank through the lines and both filters and then to the carb bowl after the filters and lines have been run empty. And then the carb bowl has to fill about halfway before the engine will pull fuel from the carb and run. If it doesn't run after about 20 seconds, something else is wrong.

Your pump should prime just fine on it's own. If it doesn't the pump could be failing, or has dirt in it keeping the diaphragm valves from closing/opening properly.
Also could have restricted fuel filters preventing full flow of fuel. Or could have a loose or clogged pulse line from the block to the pump.
Could also have dirt/obstruction in the inlet above the float needle, or the float needle isn't opening all the way.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump, fuel pump priming, ran out of gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car