lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Goat53
Gone Wild

Default fuel pump

I was asked a question this past weekend that I had no answer for , so I thought I would share it ,
I was asked , my compression is low ( 85) so can I get a few more months out of it by adding an electric fuel pump , I know it needs to be rebuilt but don't have the funds for it now and won't have for 3 or 4 more months but need the cart to work now .
I could not tell him yea or nay , any opinions out there on this ??
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: fuel pump

Fuel pressure wont buy you any time but you're really talking two different areas. Compression is in the topend and crankcase pressure/pulse is in the bottom that works the fuel pump.
It doesn't take a lot of P/P to run one of these little pumps and they still will pump fuel with low compression so the pump is working.
Time to bite the Big Block Bullet!!!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

If you could get it to run with one, sure why not use it. If it's a 2 stroke we are talking about, (I ASSume it is) the blow-by is going to really mess with the fuel mix trying to get into the cylinder. (probably the reason it won't run) I doubt it's going to work on one but if you had a pump laying around why not give it a shot. even if you don't have a pump you could come up with some kind of gravity setup just to see if it'll run.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Are you sure the valves are adjusted right. see if many many times, people ask price on motor and the only thing wrong is the valves are too tight causing loss of compression. Just an idea.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

1985, Thought we were talking 2 stroke.............
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Goat53
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
Are you sure the valves are adjusted right. see if many many times, people ask price on motor and the only thing wrong is the valves are too tight causing loss of compression. Just an idea.
I did forget to mention that it is a 1986 2 stroke ,, sorry

I WAS thinking of getting myself a 2007 model ezgo 4 stroke ( 350 ) engine ,,but after reading all this posting about adjusting the valves all the time I'm not going to bother with the 4 strokes , on a briggs engine the valves may need to be adjusted maby once every 10 to 12 YEARS . Seems to be an ongoing thing with the cart engines . got to be a poor design .
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat53 View Post
I did forget to mention that it is a 1986 2 stroke ,, sorry

I WAS thinking of getting myself a 2007 model ezgo 4 stroke ( 350 ) engine ,,but after reading all this posting about adjusting the valves all the time I'm not going to bother with the 4 strokes , on a briggs engine the valves may need to be adjusted maby once every 10 to 12 YEARS . Seems to be an ongoing thing with the cart engines . got to be a poor design .
It's not really a big deal, the problem is the older engines used valves that weren't harden. These tend to wear out sooner than valves made with harden steel. Once they get to a certain point they wear rather quickly. Even then they last quite a while without adjustment. People will sell carts that don't seem to run like they use to, they've been run a bunch of hours and never had them adjusted. People buy them and wonder why it doesn't seem to work right. I have one cart here (with a 350)that i've had and been running for better than 3 years and I never had to adjust the valves yet. It's got 900 and something hours on it. I doubt it has ever had the valves adjusted, I bought it off-lease from ezgo.
The newer cart/engines have harden valves so it shouldn't be an issue.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

reread the post and see the year. sorry
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Goat53
Gone Wild

Got the old fuel pump to work properly , problem was in the origonal 'metal ' fuel line that came on the cart , it was /is evidently mostly stopped up , replaced with a new rubber line from tank to fuel pump , without going all the way across the cart then coming 1/2 the way back , and presto ,, it's working fine , still hard to start because of low compression but does start and run for now .
Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Glad to here it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO