lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default I did a dumb thing today. Did I cause damage? v. G29

*Not a tractor*

Alright, I know this was stupid. But at the time, this seemed like a great idea. I KNOW you've been there.

To make a long story short, my neighbor got confused on our property line about a year ago and went scorched earth with the local logging company. Leaving me with a barren wasteland to sort out. After having stumps removed and the ground tilled, it was time for seed. No better way to prep the soil than with a DIY drag harrow and my trusty G29 PTV, I thought. It was going like gangbusters to start. 30 minutes in I started to wonder if I should hire out my services. 45 minutes in and the cart suddenly DIED, as in quit moving. Voltage was still high (~49-50), it was responding, but would only lurch forward for a few inches. I flipped all of the switches to no avail. I let here cool down for about an hour and she came back to life and I took her for a spin. At that time she was running pretty good, but a tad slower. I was expecting 19-20 mph but she was running about 16 mph. I'm not sure if this was due to the hard work or the related to the sudden death. I've got it on the charger now and will do another run tomorrow.

Does the Moric controller have an overheat protection mode? It was blazing hot today and I may have stressed it too much. Have I cause any irreparable harm? Is there any diagnostic work that I should do to determine the cart's health? Is it time I give up on this Moric junk and call ScottyB for a Alltrax/motor package?

Thanks for the help!
Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: I did a dumb thing today. Did I cause damage? v. G29

I'm guessing motor. When a Moric controller goes, it "buys the farm", all the way dead, no "redo". Hey, I'm thinking your neighbor has a few extra bucks from that "lumber sale", maybe he can pitch in a few..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Confused? In the picture It looks like he cut all the way over to the driveway

Sounds like you will need a replacement motor to get back your original performance
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here are some pictures that should better explain the carnage. The even was extremely unfortunate and pisses me off to no end. It has led to a lot of work and money being spent.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I'm guessing motor. When a Moric controller goes, it "buys the farm", all the way dead, no "redo". Hey, I'm thinking your neighbor has a few extra bucks from that "lumber sale", maybe he can pitch in a few..
Does the G29 controller or motor have any over-current or thermal overload protection? If you are saying the motor, do you know what the failure mechanism might be? Winding or brush failure?

Thanks for the help, by the way.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

I think Controller has thermal protection, I know motor does not. Motor always failed with burned commutator. Don't rebuild stock motor, get something better.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I think Controller has thermal protection, I know motor does not. Motor always failed with burned commutator. Don't rebuild stock motor, get something better.
The controller does yes. Those stock Hitachi motors are total garbage. Talking with chuck at EMP, hes had some horror stories. Of a whole skid full almost a third had obvious manufacturing defects.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Whew baby. Motor/controller kits are expensive! If I wanted to get less scrutiny from the wife, would it be a problem if I bought the motor now and added the controller a few months from now?
Old 07-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
crash test dummy

i would be suing neighbor for property damage and anything else you can get
Old 07-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevin View Post
Whew baby. Motor/controller kits are expensive! If I wanted to get less scrutiny from the wife, would it be a problem if I bought the motor now and added the controller a few months from now?
The neighbor said he's buying this round. Most aftermarket motors are not compatible with the field map in the stock controller (which can't be changed on stock controllers). It would run, but could damage the new motor, the controller or both.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha