lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Cutting/Copying a car type key blank into a cart key??

I have a few blank keys that are about the size of the old school GM printed car keys or even like a standard size house key today.

Can I get the blanks cut/copied to use on the golf cart? Seeing as the Yamaha key seems super small like a club car key I am not sure if it’s possible??

Any ideas? Can I just have Lowes or HD do it?? Thanks
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cutting/Copying a car type key blank into a cart key??

I would just take a Dremel to it. If your cart isn't special-keyed then all the keys for it will be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Just watch your cost / benefit. Depending on the cart, I see keys online for under $2 each. No sense is putting a ton of time into those keys to save a few bucks.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
frankthetank
Gone Wild

The key on my Yamaha is a unique ignition key.

The blank I have (pictured) just goes with the theme of my cart and I really want to use it if its possible:-)

Not sure I am comfortable with the Dremel method but I would pay the few bucks to have it cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Just watch your cost / benefit. Depending on the cart, I see keys online for under $2 each. No sense is putting a ton of time into those keys to save a few bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentofdestiny View Post
I would just take a Dremel to it. If your cart isn't special-keyed then all the keys for it will be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keybotcart - Copy.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If the key blank doesn't match the general design of the Yamaha key (blank won't slide into key switch), scrap this plan now, before the money and headache still yields no results.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If the key blank doesn't match the general design of the Yamaha key (blank won't slide into key switch), scrap this plan now, before the money and headache still yields no results.
That’s what I was afraid of
Thanks cg I guess I’ll just cut the logo off and jb weld it to the cart key:-) better than nothin.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Braze it on? (typical electric weld won't work due to material). Or you can go "full on Dremel", which is what I would do if I were really stuck on the idea, I'm stubborn also. But, the results would end up looking "half-hatched & butchered" for a key that doesn't even fit in the slot. (Hey, I have a "modified key" that fits "newer" Yamaha on one side, and "older" Yamaha on the other side on my main keyring at all times). Total hack-job with a file, totally works... But my ole G2 key still is the OG with the rubber molding. And I got the blue medallion you can't buy anymore. Yeah, I know it is "scuzzy", but I have had it for many years (and don't want to try too many solvent/cleaners on it, as there are no more). Tried to order me a new "black hat with red embroidered Yamama" on it today, like I always wear, they don't sell that one anymore either. I sure hope they still have the blue hat with white "Yamaha"..... My buddy/coworker/service writer has a brand new one of those black hats, I'm gonna try to trade him out of it tomorrow.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_231914969.jpg (67.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_232626718.jpg (59.5 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Braze it on? (typical electric weld won't work due to material). Or you can go "full on Dremel", which is what I would do if I were really stuck on the idea, I'm stubborn also. But, the results would end up looking "half-hatched & butchered" for a key that doesn't even fit in the slot. (Hey, I have a "modified key" that fits "newer" Yamaha on one side, and "older" Yamaha on the other side on my main keyring at all times). Total hack-job with a file, totally works... But my ole G2 key still is the OG with the rubber molding. And I got the blue medallion you can't buy anymore. Yeah, I know it is "scuzzy", but I have had it for many years (and don't want to try too many solvent/cleaners on it, as there are no more). Tried to order me a new "black hat with red embroidered Yamama" on it today, like I always wear, they don't sell that one anymore either. I sure hope they still have the blue hat with white "Yamaha"..... My buddy/coworker/service writer has a brand new one of those black hats, I'm gonna try to trade him out of it tomorrow.....

I may just see next time I drive by one of the locksmith places and think about. Just stop and see if they can jerry cut it haha

Not really sure about brazing it on. I have had luck with JB Weld Metal2Metal epoxy plenty of times so that's all I was saying.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha