lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
logjammer
Not Yet Wild

Default shift cable clearance 2009 club car

I have a 3in jakes lift on a 2009 club car with a kawasaki engine. The aluminum frame in the left rear corner pushes down on the forward , reverse cable when there are 4 passengers. I tried to adjust all the way in both directions but with no luck. I also took a grinder and took the corner of the aluminum frame off and it helped but still makes contact. The aluminum frame comes down when loaded with two people in the back seat on the metal long 90 degree curve of the cable where the cable goes from a side to side direction to a front to back direction. If I could find a tighter radius 90 cable or some how get the cable 1in closer to the center of the cart it would clear. Has anybody else ran into this. No I am not the one who installed the 3in jakes lift on it. I bought it used that way. It also pops out of gear when driving over a ditch or bump in the road because of this.
logjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: shift cable clearance 2009 club car

I have a 6" lift on my '87 and have had this issue. It's never been an operational issue though like you have (popping out of gear). My concern was that the frame would eventually cut into the cable over time, so I cut out a small portion of the frame to somewhat alleviate the pressure and put a "sleeve" over the cable (which is just a rubber hose with some zip ties).
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's a pic of mine. Is this what you mean? You can see the cable going over the frame and the small notch I cut out.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
rib33024

I would have made the bracket higher, Before I ever cut the frame
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

They line up a little differently, one cart to another, but it's pretty common. I've done a little reshaping of the bracket back there to clear things, but probably the best fix is heavier springs to keep the cart from squatting so much with weight on the back. Dual action springs are the best choice. They keep a fairly stock ride quality when lightly loaded but have helper leaves to hold the weight if you load up the rear.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
logjammer
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for the pic, Your cable is flexible in the curve where mine is a metal encased long radius elbow with no give and goes under the frame just in front of the shock. I also will look to beef up the springs as meimk suggests. Maybe do something with the holding bracket as well . I am also going to check the cable and see if the flexible cable is the same length. That in itself would help. Again thanks for the replies.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
logjammer
Not Yet Wild

I am going to buy a set of heavy duty 4 leaf rear springs I have a tour all (serial TG0931037064) just wondering if DS springs are the same. For some reason this model has front brakes but not sure of other differences. Twisted the cable holder bracket just a little and notched the top of the frame a little.. I have a little more clearance but probably still need heaver or newer springs even though mine has 3 plus an overload anyway.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The reason it happens is the change in the angle the engine cradle sits. Since the front of the cradle stays in the same place and the back of the cradle moves down (relative to the frame) it tilts the whole power assembly. The higher the lift, the further that bracket and cable get pushed to the rear.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I lowered the front of my engine cradle after my lift in order to level out the motor so it would oil properly. That probably relaxed some of the tension of that cable against the frame.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Marvinm
Not Yet Wild

I just finished installing a Jake's 6" lift to my 2006 DS and have the same issue. My plan is to find a piece of 1/4" thick by 2 1/2" wide flat bar to make an extension for the snubber bracket. If Iflip the snubber bracket and add an additional 2" drop I am thinking that it will solve the issue with the shift cable. It seems to me that Jake's would include this piece in the kit that they sell because I am obviously not the first one to have this issue.

The problem with lowering the fron of the engine is that now the air intake hose is kinked. I found on an earlier post that someone located a 90 degree Briggs and Stratton intake that can be modified to fit and allow the intake hose not to kink when lowering the front end of the engine. I am having some difficulty locating this part because it has been discontinued by B&S. I'm hoping that I can find one and get it on. The B&S part number is 691368.
Marvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car