lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
bobkern@ieuwifi.net
Not Yet Wild

Default Lifted cart dilemma

I had Motors and More rebuild a customer's Robin EH29C engine. The Cart is a lifted TXT with AT24x11.5x 10" tires, with a model #L201. I installed it today, and it bolted in without any problems, but the engine sits an an angle with the top rear side of the engine canted towards the rear of the cart. I put the required 48 ounces of oil in and checked the dip stick and it barely showed on the tip of the stick. The dip stick and oil strainer/filter is of course on the front side of the engine. The crankcase is low toward the rear. I talked to technical at Nivel and they said to add the extra pint, and make it 2 quarts. It came up but still shows well below the add mark. I called Motors and More to see what they say to do, but it being Friday and probably close to 4 their time, I got their answer machine. Has anyone dealt with this situation, and have any helpful info that they'd care to share?

This is my first post and I hope I've done it right!
bobkern@ieuwifi.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Lifted cart dilemma

The right answer is to "level the engine". Easier said than done on an Ezgo, as the engine is part of the swingarm frame, and the bolts are in the side of the block.

The only way I could think to do this is to make a drop bracket for the front of the engine, like a "Z" braket. Not sure if you have the clearance on the engine block on the front side with the carb being there, but if you could drop that side down 2" you'd be doing some good for the oil pump.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

On a side note, this is the "Clone Engine" section. Mods might want to move this to the Ezgo or Lifted Cart section?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

By no means an EZGO expert BUT maybe one of the Vegascarts engine leveling solutions might be a way to solve your issue.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know what a #L201 is, but I am assuming it is a manufactured lift kit. How tall of a lift? I have a 6" drop axle lift on my workhorse, 23" tires, but the tires don't matter as they are the same around the cart. Haven't had an issue, makes good oil pressure with a quart and a half.
If you aren't comfortable with that, the solution would be to do what Slonomo said...drop the front mounting point for the engine bracket. Everything is mounted to the aluminum engine mount, so it all drops with it. Not sure if you could squeeze a plate between the frame and the steel mounting "C" bracket, but if you can, you make the plate as long as you need to drop the engine to closer to level, or wherever you are comfortable. You might want to try mounting the aluminum bracket under the bottom of the "C" bracket, using the rubber bushings. Never tried it, so not sure how stable the engine would be. If you have access to junk machines, borrow another "C" Bracket and bolt or weld it to the bottom of the existing one.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

JPonLKN and Slo,

This is exactly how I used to do it. Remove the front mount from the frame cross member and lower the engine to where it needs to be on a jack. Measure for a lowering plate and drill out to bolt to the frame where the "C" bracket was, then mount the "C" bracket to the bottom of the plate at the point required to level the engine. This will also allow the wheels to re center in the wheel arch. You Can of course do as also suggested, welding another bracket below the existing one instead but you will probably have to modify the length of bolt needed to remount the engine cradle snubber ( if that is what you call it over there ). I found the drop plate to be the most effective method. Its simple to do and puts everything where it needs to be.

I think I used 1/4 inch plate for this.

So Basically all you need to do is lower the engine cradle front mount bracket that is bolted to the frame cross member. The beauty of doing this is that it can easily be put back to stock if you remove the lift kit later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
You might want to try mounting the aluminum bracket under the bottom of the "C" bracket, using the rubber bushings. Never tried it, so not sure how stable the engine would be.
Dont do this!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps