lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
riverdog
Not Yet Wild

Default carb backfires, wont start

hope someone can help, i replaced broke rod, put in new rings, head gasket, on 295 2001 model checked and rechecked timing, have 150 lbs compression,
and fire in both spark plugs,and adjusted valves to .004, tries to start but only backfires through carb, all i can think of is in the gas/carb, am i missing something? any help would be appreciated, new to this site and it has helped me so much, thanks
riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: carb backfires, wont start

There's a couple things...It should never backfire through the carb, unless you have the pedal down. The flapper should be all the way shut. Be sure you have a new in line fuel filter and the fuel pump and vacuum lines are good.
My suggestion, go to the timing belt and the adjustment. It's very easy to get one notch off. Recheck the pulleys, be sure they are correct after the belt is tightened.
The other...could the balancing shaft and/or the crankshaft be out of aligment. The marks need to be perfect. I hope not, but that is the start of the valve timing.
If you are confident that all this is good, you may try to clean the carb.
The ignition timing is not possible to get "off" unless you move the pulser coil or the keyway in the fan hub. Check the ignition connections and plugs. It could misfire, maybe...Check the air gap at the pulser, dirty pulsers will cause problems, also. Clean it if it's dirty. Good Luck, Let us know what happens and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Last edited by tonyton; 03-13-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: WELCOME
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
riverdog
Not Yet Wild

thanks so much for the reply, i did remove the fan hud and keyway to replace the rod but did not touch the pulsar, i know for sure the bottom is line, the one mark is between the two marks, is there an adjustment on the pulsar? i will recheck timing on cam in the meantime. great site and so helpful!
riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
delltang
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdog View Post
thanks so much for the reply, i did remove the fan hud and keyway to replace the rod but did not touch the pulsar, i know for sure the bottom is line, the one mark is between the two marks, is there an adjustment on the pulsar? i will recheck timing on cam in the meantime. great site and so helpful!
What was your fix?
delltang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO