lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: A Few Carb questions for you guys..

Gary,
You will notice a little bump in compression with the longer plugs. Don't know how much. But I bet the clean carb will be a big difference. If it was plugging up it was starving for fuel which leans it out and takes the heat up fast. You may want to check the valves but may be able to put off a rebuild for longer than you thought.
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Garywv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well the plug change made no difference in it overheating , so back to square one I guess..
I guess it is now the valve clearance , but I cant see that valve clearance would make it overheat can it ?
It does not look like anyone has been in the motor before , other than the carb had been off before , and looks like that was a while back. Also it does not seem like they had messed with the govenor either because when it starts off moving it will go up in RPM then settle back down when the speed and torque kick in..so it looks like the governer is working OK.
Next thing today is the valve clearance I guess. And I am going to pull the side cover off and see if the fins are full of grass or dirt as well..
How common would it be that the timing belt might slip a tooth or two with it still running good other than the overheating?
I am open to all suggestions at this point because I am running out of options as well. I do not want to do a new ring job on the cylinders if it will keep over heating either..The way I have interpreted it the 90LBS cold is borderline for a ring job as well, I know it is low but it should run without overheating ...And it does not overheat to the point of not running at all, It will still run slow and get back to where I am going just can figure this one out.

Thanks
Gary
Garywv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Garywv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

And after reading a few post on the forum I just remembered that whe I took the air box off the PCV hose was kinked and not on the bottom of the air box but I put a clamp around the hose and put i back in place so that was not a problem either with leaking oil from the valve box the hose was not full of oil or anything just not connected......
Back to the drawing board..
Gary
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When you go to adjust the valves it is alittle different than you would think. The valve you are adjusting the high spot on the cam lobe should be pointing down or directly away from the rocker arm. Now where it gets weird is normally you would grab your feeler gauges and check the clearence at the valve and rocker arm, but you need to check at the cam and rocker arm. Like I said earlier .04 clearence. Good luck!
98 EZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Garywv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK Just checked the valves and both exhaust where too loose ,I didnt get a reading but the .04 feeler guage slid right into bothe exhaust valves and the intakes where too tight..
So just got them all re-set to .04 on intake and exhaust and my friend is out running it now to see if it is still overheating, Also pulled the front cover of and checked for gras and dirt but everything was nice and clean....
Soooo hope he comes back in 20 minutes without it popping..
Also I know the high speed ventury is fixed size with no adjusting but I went ahead and brought the idle up a little and richened the low sid up hoping that might carry over to the high side..
Gary
Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Garywv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well still running hot after carb cleaning and valve adjusting ......???
BUT one thing that we did notice is that I changed the adjustments on the carb which is only 1 for low speed and that seemed to affect the range of high speed as well it seemed to get hot and did not slow down as much...
I was thinking that the slow speed might affect the high speed in a way like a small 2 cycle might , but not sure what it did.It does not shut down but I do not want to overheat it to the point of something freezing up either. So I have been checking a few manuals but they do not show the second vent line that my carb has on it....
I wonder if the inside of that carb is just toast or something.....I would like to find someone with a carb that would fit and swap it out to see if it makes a difference. So I need to try and find a local shop that might do that but I am sure if it is a shop I would just have to pay for it outright..That is all that I can think of.. And I did check the oil pressure when I had the head off to adjust the valves and it shoots oil about 12 inches in the air as soon as it starts...
I dont know AGAIN..
Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just reread the thread and don't see any mention of plug
color after it heats up.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
Garywv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The plugs look like they are burning fine , even the shorter ones that I swapped out had a normal color on the contact from dark inside the cup to little white at the pole.
After setting back and trying to think about what is going on , I am wondering if it is sucking air somewhere because on the last run I screwed the slow speed needle all of the way in and it still kept running. I would think that the slow speed mix needle if closed the motor would just stop running but it kept on idleing.
The gasket to the motor intake is fine no cuts or anything and no leaks from the bowl and no overflow from the cup like I had before cleaning it out from the float sticking, so I am leaning toward the carb now, even after the clean-up..
Thanks
Gary
Old 12-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I just found this post, Once the motor starts it is pretty quick to pass through the low speed circuit into the fixed high speed jet.
I really don't see an issue with the temps you mentioned and don't think it is over heating at all.
Take a couple of spare plugs with you and run the cart until it quits, remove the plug wires, insert them on the spare plugs and ground to block to check for spark.
Sounds like you have an ignitor or coil getting hot and shutting down.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
Garywv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Crash,
but one of the problems is it wont shut down , once it get to the point of what we think is hot it will sputter anywhere past 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, but yes it will quit if you keep your foot in it I assume,
We will take a spare plug and give that a shot next time we try anything with it. Maybey one side of the coil is shutting down when it get up to temp...
Thanks
Gary

Last edited by Garywv; 12-11-2010 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: added info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO